2010 WY elk pics from a Bronx kid!

7mmpredator

_DSC0061-1.jpg
_DSC0117.jpg
Just sharing some pics of my 2010 WY elk hunt.

_DSC0020.jpg

Pretty nice bull. Congrats. How long of a shot was required? Look's like pretty country and appears you caught him out on top of an open knoll.

That's one well-equipped elk hunting camp, and a very successful one to boot.

We kinda raced him up the meadow before he would top out and join his cows that went over into the black timber. At the top we had to sprint 250 or so yards on the spine to get within 300 yards where he stopped behind a dead tree just long enough for me to get down on one knee and poke him with a 140 Berger. Needless to say my heart was racing from the jog and I could spit cottonballs!

Thanks guys. It's always funny to see the look on the faces of the UPS guy or the chinese food delivery guy when they look over my shoulder and see these heads on the wall. Believe it or not I still get, "where did you go to Africa?"

This was a guided hunt in western WY with Non-Typical Outfitters. 6 out of 7 that week shot bulls. The 7th guy missed two different bulls. Back at camp his gun was 7" left of center at 100 yds! One shot he took was at over 400 yds.

The second week some one took a nice bull as well.
My bull green scored 307.

I didn't go out with 400 class bull on my mind. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to hunt the country (public land) they live in on horse back no less and to have a mature male on my wall to see as my grays grow in regardless of score is just a blessing!

Way to go!
A 300 yd shot when you are suckin air from an uphill sprint is certainly not a gimme.
I've seen guys miss a 50 yd shot in that situation. And many guys hunt a lifetime without getting a nice mature 6 pt like yours. Congrats.
What part of WY were you in ? If outfitted, who was you with ?:)

Thanks for the kind words danman,

Rob Wiley and his camp are genuine, passionate, hard hunting folk who raised an eyebrow when I passed on two 5x5s the first day. (not having shot an elk before).

I was soul searching the second day!

The third morning opportunity knocked and my guide made the right choices to give us the shot.

He is only 21 years old and did the taxidermy to boot!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts