200gr ELDX, 180gr AB 30cal?

Totoro

Hey fellas, sifted through the forums and read a bunch of threads but no real info so I will pose the question:

For the 200gr ELDX and 180gr AB in 30cal, how has the bullet behaved BELOW the recommended minimum velocity respectively?

With the projected velocities outta my rifles, minimum velocity limit around 700yds.

So past 800yds, because of limited expansion should POA be more centered around shoulder area rather than behind the crease?

Thanks!

Neither will expand, AB will pen hole worse than EDLX since they are tuffer construction. Don't expect a bullet to perform outside of its intended parameters. I would not shoot at a distance that my bullet wouldn't expand at.

I have used the 180gr AB at a distance of 880yrds. Deer was dead. Same with the 200gr AB.
As to terminal performance, don't know, didn't recover the bullet, but the exit was STILL larger than entrance and the wound channel was like what I expected. I hit high in the shoulder, took out top of lungs, shoulder and spine.
I wouldn't hesitate using them inside of 800yrds.
Have zero experience with Hornady bullets.
These days, I hunt with Nosler ABLR 210gr @ 2980fps outta my 300WM with 26" tube.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.