200gr Accubond strikes again

Brent

My buddy and I were out looking for his bull Moose yesterday, went to a new area and was quite impressed. Well he ended up scoring a nice little fork horn bull with a perfect broad side shot, just behind the shoulder. He was using some of the handloads I'd worked up for my 300 Ultra in his. Accuracy with this load is consistant in both our rifles and MV within 20 fps. This bullet broke through ribs on both sides and exited with a hole about 1.5", and the bull walked ten feet if that, and hopped a couple times on his front legs and just fell over stone dead. The shot was real near 100 yards and wasn't even ranged. Minimal loss of meat, but real devistation when he was opened up. A high lung shot does 'em in every time.

Sorry, no pix this time, batteries went dead in the camera. I can take pix of the chest tomarrow, but they just what is expected when ribs bust, two big holes in both sides.

I did get a pic of the calf that happened to be standing right on the other side of the bull, had no idea the little thing was even there in the grass behind him, and we were all lucky it didn't get tagged with the exiting bullet too!

We had been watching the one end of this field while setting in the middle of it waiting for a bull to pop out that we saw in the alder row just on the other side a few minutes earlier. After some calling we happened to turn around and the bull had slipped out of the tree line way down past us somehow and was now just standing smack dab in the middle of the field behind us! Well, that's when the shot was taken. When the bull fell the little calf was then visable and just hung out over him like its mamma was shot. Strange, mamma must have been killed earlier or something, cause it sure acted like that bull was the real deal. Even got me wondering if cows had ever been seen with antlers, I certainly never heard of it. It wasn't a cow tho, had the nads to prove that part.

Brent,

I am working up loads in a buddies Rem. Sendero in 300 RUM right now usinf the 200 gr Accubond... I'd be curious to know your load,powder, primer, OAL etc. I think I have found a load now, but curious to know yours....

I'm using H4831sc ( 80.6 grs ) Fed 215 primer with the Nosler Accubond and she's getting 2970 fps on average.. I'm getting .75 moa as well...

Brent, Wyo,
I loaded Western Powders Magnum with the 200 Accubonds for a couple of guys with .300 Win. mags. Started at 78 and went to 80 grains. One brand new Savage 112 heavy barrel (26") really liked the bullet and held each load just under 0.5", velocity is 2947 fps. A heavy Sig tactical preferred 79 grains for 2906 fps and it keyholed them.

By the way, we shot that load all the way out to 1000 yards and the drops stayed perfectly with the 200 Match King. At 700 yards the MK penetrated a 1/4" steel plate and was stopped by a second plate. The Accubond put a big dent in the front plate and the bases and some core were stuck in the indentations.

BC must be similar between Accubond and Match King since they shot into the same groups downrange. Long range accuracy with the Accubond is excellent in our shooting.

Rick,

The load we've been shooting between .5 and .7 moa is 90gr Retumbo, 215M, 3.66" OAL with FL sized Rem brass. The MV is 3015 ave on mine, 3030 fps on his. Not a smokin load, but accuracy is as good as I can expect and consistant, much more important than the last 100 fps in my book. Now, one of you guys shoot a big Elk or Moose at long range so we can see how they hold up out there, God knows it was too easy for us this year, and my kids won't be tagging one beyond a couple hundred yards either. My wife hasn't put enough trigger time in this year to even mention, so she is limiting herself to close range too.

Ian,

That polymer tip must advance expansion faster than the HP MK does and be just enough to keep it from penitrating the steel. We all know what bullet to use when the animals wise up and start wearing steel armor.
grin.gif
Guess us guys using the Accubond with either have to switch to MK's or limit our range and take head shots.
grin.gif

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the bullet, but really, it's behavior should be fairly predictable. Always nice to see it confirmed tho.
smile.gif

WyoWhisper,

H4831 is a really fast powder for this round. I think you'd do much better with H1000 or RL25. I've had great luck with Retumbo--95 grains, 3177 fps. Very consistant and accurate.

While I agree that going for the very last few fps isn't always the best idea, 2970 is a 300 Win Mag velocity with a 200 grain bullet. It just kind of seems like a waste to download a RUM so far.

I forgot to mention, my chamber is pretty sloppy so you might hit max a couple of grains lower than I do. Also, I'm seating them to fit the magazine which gives me a ton of freebore--so work your way up to that load carefully.

[ 09-21-2003: Message edited by: Jon A ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.