200g ELD X in a 300wsm

aj427ci

What have your experiences been with the 200g eldx in the 300 mag velocities for elk, mule deer, and black bear? I have an unopened box and thinking about giving them a whirl this year. Not concerned necessarily about long range performance as all my shots will probably be less the 500 yards, probably inside 300 yards. I've heard mixed results with other weights and calibers. Any direct experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

To explosive for that range. Use a Hammer Hunter 188, or a Nosler Partition. No need for long range bullet at those distances.

I load mine at 2952 fps. Fastest kill I've ever had was on a NM bull at about 100 yards. Look like he got hit by lightning. Went down before I could ever get another round chambered.
I've shot a number of South Texas cull bucks on a friends ranch with them in the last 2 years and they performed well.
That being said, I really only shoot Hammer bullets in all my hunting rigs

I know this is an old post but I shot a 4.5 yr old whitetail buck at 40 yds out if my 280 rem, bullet whent full length of body. Chest to back of ham and exited, might be still going. Based on this I wouldn't worry about it

What have your experiences been with the 200g eldx in the 300 mag velocities for elk, mule deer, and black bear? I have an unopened box and thinking about giving them a whirl this year. Not concerned necessarily about long range performance as all my shots will probably be less the 500 yards, probably inside 300 yards. I've heard mixed results with other weights and calibers. Any direct experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
It's a very soft bullet that will separate and fragment badly at high velocity.

For sub 400yd work with that kind of energy I would suggest the Nosler Accubond. Reliable, predictable expansion even at very high impact velocities and expands well down to 1,800fps.

For longer range, lower velocity impacts the ELD-X though is a fine choice.

You will always get varying recommendations because we all have different experiences and preferences. Despite all the negative things you hear, others have real-world successes. My recommendation is to give it a try; it might just surprise you and yield an excellent result for your intended purpose. Good luck!