2000 yard spotting scope and a "clay" needs to be seen clearly

If on a bench these are pretty solid if not in the blast of the brake.
s-l1600.jpg

title says it all
current scope is a celestron 22-67x 100mm ed glass.
not cheap but not top end
it works fine at 1000 but was not happy at 2k.
this is for matches, not hunting not packing in and out
thanks

I shoot steel regularly out to 2,000 meters and I am looking to increase that distance. I currently use a Lica 77 mm that I purchased 22 years ago. It still works great but it is limited. I wouldn't sell it to purchase a larger Swarovski or Lica without a reticle (see below). The quality of my old scope is just fine. If you do purchase something, try to purchase the highest quality you can afford. It will last you a lifetime if you take care of it.

As others have said on this thread, big objectives are very important. I've used celestial binoculars with 125 mm objectives and only 25 power that worked better than my Lica with 60 power. It was easier to see hits with the binoculars because there was simply more light. Unfortunately, you probably want more than just to be able to see the target and the hits (at least I do).

I suggest purchasing a spotting scope with a first focal plane reticle. It is very helpful to walk in hits. My Lica doesn't have a reticle. What we do now when we are shooting longer distances ( 500 meters out to 2 km) is we have one shooter and one spotter using a scoped rifle that also has a FFP reticle. The spotter can easily see the hits and can tell the shooter to dial up or down "X" mils or "X" MOA (we use mils because it is easier to count by 10) and to hold right or left due to wind "Y" mils.

I am still not 100% convinced that I need a new spotting scope and am waiting for technology to advance. The one I would get right now for target shooting if I had a spare $4,500 would be the Swarovski STR 80 25-50 with a MIL reticle.

https://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski...le-w-20-60x-eyepiece-mpn-86831-swarovski.aspx

The one I sent you is 20-60 eyepiece but I've heard and read that that eyepiece does not have as much clarity as the 25 to 50. I would purchase a Swarovski immediately that had a ranging reticle and 90 mm objective lens or bigger. Even better would be to have two Swarovski 65 MM scopes mounted as binoculars with a ranging FFP reticle. I may be waiting a long time.

One of the respondents suggested a bullseye camera. Those seem nice but you may need a booster given the distance you are shooting. Friends of mine have those and they are nice for confirming hits at 2000+ meters. Unfortunately, it isn't as functional as a scope with a reticle for walking in shots or tightening up a group on a steel target. I shoot in a fair amount of wind 5 mph to 10 mph. At 1 mile, I am holding off 1 to 2+ mils for wind which is 1.6 meters to 3.2 meters. The camera may not have a field of view large enough to capture the first hits so it may be difficult to walk in your shots.

Keep in mind that using a decent cell phone on your spotting scope can both brighten and focus the picture and you can wifi it to a tablet or bigger screen for better viewing.

Bigger objectives are better for a spotting scope. It provides more light, which provides more contrast when looking for that elusive Couse Deer at a mile or two. Also the larger objective allows for a larger field of view. As an old photographer, we always want the the biggest piece of glass we can afford.

With regard to seeing the clay at 2000 m/y's it was a rhetorical statement from how I read it. Seeing a 108-110 mm orange disc at that range would be quite the challenge. [4.33071" diameter for a clay] I'd paint it a different color that the eye sees better. research is proven. "The green color was created by analyzing the way the rods and cones in our eyes are stimulated by different wavelengths of light. The company found that the human eye is most sensitive to light at a wavelength of 555 nanometers—a bright green." so if you want to shoot something at long distances change the color of the target.

If you are not packing this through the woods why not simply use a telescope? I would think that anything that can give you clear views of stars would be easily capable of doing what you are asking....

recommend one with a proven history ?
[
QUOTE="BigJohnH, post: 1622818, member: 71348"]If you are not packing this through the woods why not simply use a telescope? I would think that anything that can give you clear views of stars would be easily capable of doing what you are asking....[/QUOTE]

not rhetorical
it is how we zero
and yes orange is a hard color in optics.
ed glass helps.
target shooting not hunting
Bigger objectives are better for a spotting scope. It provides more light, which provides more contrast when looking for that elusive Couse Deer at a mile or two. Also the larger objective allows for a larger field of view. As an old photographer, we always want the the biggest piece of glass we can afford.

With regard to seeing the clay at 2000 m/y's it was a rhetorical statement from how I read it. Seeing a 108-110 mm orange disc at that range would be quite the challenge. [4.33071" diameter for a clay] I'd paint it a different color that the eye sees better. research is proven. "The green color was created by analyzing the way the rods and cones in our eyes are stimulated by different wavelengths of light. The company found that the human eye is most sensitive to light at a wavelength of 555 nanometers—a bright green." so if you want to shoot something at long distances change the color of the target.

recommend one with a proven history ?
[
QUOTE="BigJohnH, post: 1622818, member: 71348"]If you are not packing this through the woods why not simply use a telescope? I would think that anything that can give you clear views of stars would be easily capable of doing what you are asking....
[/QUOTE]
Hell Bushnell, Tasco make good products, as far as proven history I have used both for the purpose they were built for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 233
so i ended up with
Meopta MeoStar S2 82mm HD Angled Combo, 20-70X with cover for $2230
my choice was influenced by building a second long range rifle which drained some funds
i will be selling my Regal M2 100ED
Spotting Scope

thanks to all that helped

so i ended up with
Meopta MeoStar S2 82mm HD Angled Combo, 20-70X with cover for $2230
my choice was influenced by building a second long range rifle which drained some funds
i will be selling my Regal M2 100ED
Spotting Scope

thanks to all that helped

Thanks for letting us know. Pretty decent price from the sounds of it. Once you have had it out, give us a review and your take on how well you can see a Clay at 2000 yards with it. Also, can you spot the misses accurately.

i am divorced, i don't have any "misses"
Thanks for letting us know. Pretty decent price from the sounds of it. Once you have had it out, give us a review and your take on how well you can see a Clay at 2000 yards with it. Also, can you spot the misses accurately.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.