2000 yard spotting scope and a "clay" needs to be seen clearly

have been there done that 100 x is not required, BETTER lenses are required
i could see them with my scope but they were fuzzy...not clear.
some smaller more expensive scopes had them clear.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. If you have the money, Leica or Swaro are the optics to buy. Not cheap but they are the best there is. To see a Clay and hits at 2000 yards you are going to need at least 80X magnification maybe even 100, and at that magnification the clay is going to need to be out on a real good background. On top of that, there are not going to be very many days when the conditions are going to allow you to see that small a target that far away.

You say this is strictly for target shooting and not hunting. For that type of shooting you are far better off with a remote camera system. It will work 100% of the time and you can do slow motion replay, etc to review the shots.

The 20-60x80 is actually the lower end MeoPro, which is still a great scope. The 20-70x82 is the higher end MeoStar S2.
Not sure if you are talking about the S2 or the Cabelas, but I think the Cabelas has a non removable eyepiece while the S2 comes in 20-60x(#541640) or 20-70x(#541650). I have considered moving up to the 70x but read it was blurry from 60-70x.

30x–60x WA S2 Eyepiece: Provides a constant 66° subjective field of view through the entire magnification range. Optimized for the absolute widest field of view and sharp to the edge image
https://www.ebay.com/p/Meopta-Meost...iece-541640/1000581477?_trksid=p2047675.l2644

20x–70x S2 Eyepiece Provides a 45° subjective field of view at 20x and a 63° subjective field of view at 70x magnification. Optimized for extra magnification range and sharp to the edge image.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meopta-Eye...575131&hash=item520927fcee:g:t88AAOSwRQla5E7d

It is staggering to me to even think about spotting a claybird at 2000 yards. Even in the best of conditions. Throw in some haze or heat mirage and that has to make it near impossible.

It is staggering to me to even think about spotting a claybird at 2000 yards. Even in the best of conditions. Throw in some haze or heat mirage and that has to make it near impossible.
if its an orange one, it will help. that stuff is amazingly visible. that said, its still a tall order, and why i recommended the camera. put it 25-50yds back and you are all set.

as i said before,
not true.
yours is an OPINION,
I HAVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT
again better lenses, more money is the answer

if its an orange one, it will help. that stuff is amazingly visible. that said, its still a tall order, and why i recommended the camera. put it 25-50yds back and you are all set.

I agree, I recommend the Camera too in my post. Less than 1/3 of the days will have good enough conditions to see that small of a target at 2000 yards, let alone see the bullet impacts.

To all the guys recommending Kowa scopes, they are a great scope for the price they charge but they are NOT in the same league as Swaro or Leica. Try comparing them side by side at 1000 yards and you will easily see the difference. The OP asked for the spotting scope that would give him the best chance of seeing a clay at 2000 yards and I maintain that it is Swaro or Leica.

Last edited:
Kowa's top of the line has been the top of the heap of spotting scopes for many decades. But it is a typical buy body plus the eyepiece style purchase, then you need a rock solid tripod. Must serious folks go to the big, heavy, hardwood, lockable surveyor's tripod. I myself use a heavy hanging weight to prevent a gust of wind from damaging the scope, from my personal experience during a match in West Texas, a Texas dirt devil went down the firing line, mid match.
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.