2000 yard quest started....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

Well all you guys out there hammering away at 1000 to god knows how far made me decide to push my work day back a few hours and head out and do some shooting as well. The morning was overcase and cool so I packed up at 6:00 and headed out.

Really I wanted to try out my new Swarovski and Wild rangefinders and see how they would perform and they both did very well.

I set up in my usual spot and set up the Wild range finder. Found a good reference rock and dialed it in which gave a range of 1975 meters, roughly 2173 yards.

Set the 338 Kahn up and dialed in the vertical adjustment for this range. Took a few shots to get things tuned in but once on the rock it places two rounds on the rock and one just off the left edge, the rock is roughly 20" in diameter.

Well, I glassed for some chuck but could not find any at that time so I decided to just test the rifle out at this range to see how she performed consistancy wise. I found a smaller target rock, roughly a foot square and added another moa into the scope(4-16x 56mm XOTIC USS) and let one fly. The shot landed 15 feet to the left???

Shot another round and this one hit the rock, shot three was just off the right edge of the rock.

Figured that first shot was from the scope adjustment or something so I shot a couple more three shot groups out of the rifle to see how it performed.

I was plagued with horizontal fliers and I could not figure out why, it was dead calm. Finally I realized that the scope was adjusted very high. I only have a 20 moa base on this rifle with the Badger Ord rings so the scope is doing all the elevation work.

I checked and I was within 3 moa of the mechanical limits of the scope. I have always found scopes to get very inconsistant at the extreme limits of their adjustment ranges. I then dialed in on a rock at the one mile mark, roughly(1820 yards) and found the scope settled down dramatically and was holding easily 1 moa or less for group size at this range. Most groups were in the 3/4 moa range I would guess.

Unfortunately I was out of ammo so I switched to my 270 AM Extreme Sporter which is not designed for +2000 yard shooting but I figured what the hell, lets see what this girl will do.

I lined up on the same 2173 yard rock and cranked in some vertical moas as the 6.5-20 Mk4 was zeroed at 1100 yards previously. I got the scope adjusted so that the fourth major hash down from the main reticle was a dead on hold at this range.

To be honest, as long as I kept the barrel cool or even warm, the 270 AM was vastly more consistant then the 338 Kahn at this range but that may be a scope issue with the Kahn. On the 270 AM I have a +0.020" insert in the rear ring and a -0.020" in the front ring so this is why the rifle will reach this range with the Mk4s 70 moa vertical adjustment.

I was able to get a few shots off at chucks in the 1800 to 2200 yard range and on several shots came very close but no kills. Unfortunately with the temps getting higher, the barrel would heat up very quickly and stay hot for a long period of time.

It was fun to try the 270 AM out at this range though. When the barrel was cool to warm, it was amazingly consistant. Maybe I need to build me a heavy rifle in this caliber. Maybe I just need to get those two rifles built for those 1K killers from OK finished and use them before I ship them off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Just kidding Lerch and BJ.

Anyway, no chuck kills but some close misses and with a sporter rifle I was very happy with that. Need to get a steeper slant on my Kahn base and then go from there with the heavy rifle.

The Swarovski RF is simply amazing. I got several readings early in the morning out to the 1850 meter mark on bare hill sides and they were very repeatable and consistant. This was with cloud cover as well. When the sun came out, I was limited to 1400-1500 meters on similiar grassy hill sides. This will be awsome for big game season.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

That would be fine.

I'll send you my scope and you can work up a load and get her sighted in. While your @ it, go ahead and load a couple hundred rounds and send them w/the rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HECK YA,

hey that sounds good to me Fifty,
I am glad to hear good things about that 270, I am getting real pumped thinking about me getting to lay out an Oklahoma whitetail at 700+ with my Allen Mag this fall. Keep the good reports coming. Hopefully by next week me or BJ will have a pdog at 1500 with that 243 of his, if those bullets will make it that far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take it easy.
Steve

Alright Kirby enough fun now get back to work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Just kidding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Performance seems to be well up to par on the 270 AM at extended ranges.
Glad to hear those good results on your sporter weight I can only imagine the heavy weights will do better!

Keep up the good work!

Hello Fifty:

Not to be a mister know it all, but… scopes suffer from run-out/backlash when adjusted out to their far end of adjustment. This is caused by the pitch of the threads and the gap. If you can go two moa past where you want to be, then come back down, wrap ontop of the turret with your knuckles, you will find that the reticle will settle into place. Even precision machines such as CNC's and drill presses, suffer from screw run-out and are always indexed from the same direction. However, the inconsistent left to right poi's that you described (if not diagonally) may be caused be either bedding or wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.