$2000 for scope witch one

yamadog

I'm getting a 7mm stw build for 1,000 yard shots , gone to use if for deer an mabe elk . I need help picking a scope out but got a buget on a scope of $2,000. I was thinking of buying a 5-22-56mm NXS nightforce with zero stop . but still not sure of what reticle to get in the the scope . Or what other scope and reticle would you suggest

Last edited:
I'm getting a 7mm stw build for 1,000 yard shots , gone to use if for deer an mabe elk . I need help picking a scope out but got a buget on a scope of $2,000. I was thinking of buying a 5-22-56mm NXS nightforce with zero stop . but still not sure of what reticle to get in the the scope . Or what other scope and reticle would you suggest

I like the NP-R2 - that's what I'm getting on mine.

That's a great scope and is what I use. With the R2 reticle you have 2 moa increments for the vertical hash marks at 22x. This is quite useable at longer ranges but in close you may want to turn it down to say 11x and then, if you're using the vertical hash marks, the 4 moa spacing becomes a problem. None of this is a problem if you dial for every shot but if you know the spacing and yardages for your scope and use it sometimes instead of dialing the R2 at shorter ranges at 22x could be a problem.

With the R1 you have 1 moa spacing at 22x but you also get 2 moa spacing at 11x. With the R2 at 11x you have 4 moa spacing which is probably too much at times.

If you plan on using the vertical hash marks at times instead of dialing and know the yardages for each hash mark from proven field data then the R1 would probably be a better choice. The R1 also gives you finer increments for useage when spotting your own shots and determining correction for a second shot if needed quickly.

Either one work great and when dialing for each shot it doesn't matter what the hash marks are. Use the marks for shooting instead of dialing and the R1 will give you more options.

No brainer on this one---Go US Optics... I still use NF for my dedicated 1K competition rifles but for hunting applications the USO is hands down the best imho and you can have it built to your specs.

Have them all from the S&B PMII's, Zeniths, VMV and NF's and a few others.

No brainer on this one---Go US Optics... I still use NF for my dedicated 1K competition rifles but for hunting applications the USO is hands down the best imho and you can have it built to your specs.

Have them all from the S&B PMII's, Zeniths, VMV and NF's and a few others.

Boss, I'm not debating you, but just curious why you say USO is a better hunting scope than NF? IMHO, I dont see how one could get a much better field/hunting scope than a NF... maybe as good but better??? Maybe I'm missing something?

If you have ever used one (I have 6) you would understand. There is only one scope that the optics compare to inho and that is the S&B PMII and to a great extent the VMV's. The NF is a good mid line scope but to compare it to a FFP, no mask, and the toughest internals in the industry is not really a fair comparison.

Compare a like NF at night side by side with like USO and the difference will be readily apparent. I could type more detail but until you perform this comparison for yourself it will not be clear. Kind of a hobby for me to seek out the very best Components, Builders, Processes and Equipment you might say that I like to win and in the process leave no stone unturned or at least try not to.

Kind of a hobby for me to seek out the very best Components, Builders, Processes and Equipment you might say that I like to win and in the process leave no stone unturned or at least try not to.

I think you're going to have to give the Premier Reticle's Heritage scope a look see... may have left a stone unturned.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/2009-shot-show-report-conclusion-38317/

The Optics Talk Forums - SHOT Show 2009 impressions - Page 1

"Premier

Heritage 3-15x50 scope has been out for a couple of months now. For the show, Premier has unveiled a 5-15x56 version of the scope. In terms of image quality, I think this scope is the best I have ever seen, bar none. We took it outside of the convention center mounted on a tripod and spent a little while looking at distant and not so distant objects. I was stunned at the depth of field on it. Premier really did their homework on this one. Both scopes are big and heavy. The dual turn elevation knob is spectacular. All knobs have excellent feel.

Basically, for an allround tactical scope with no electronics involved, this is as good as it gets
."

Opinions vary and I am aware of that scope but unless a scope is compared under the Same Conditions then the Evaluation is Very Subjective.

My USO's are built and they subtend out to .17 MOA. They are built that way on purpose--long story but to use the knobs seen here we had to use specific componets that were already made------so they subtend to .17. Have one more left then that will be the end of the .17 MOA clicks on new builds.

USOWarp7.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.