$2000 for a LR 300 WM. Best choice

Nobama

Yes I have searched, but there are newer rifles out there now (Sako S20) I have a CA Ridgeline 6.5 PRC, even after good and bad reviews. It shoots very well. I had a Browning Hells Canyon 6.5 PRC, Shot well but never shot it much (A buddy had to have it)
Surprised me that the S20 has 1-11 twist, but it seems OK using a stability calculator. I do really like the adjustability of the stock.
It's my first LR rifle and want to make a good decision. Thoughts?

I own a bunch of 300 WM components. I don't want to add a new caliber right now. I agree with you though.
I'm looking to add a LR rifle to practice with, instead of shooting my hunting rifle. Thanks though..

This decision is easy, to me anyway. If you don't reload or don't want to be beholden to doing so, 300WM -- especially if this is a hunting rifle and/or you are practicing FOR hunting. If you do reload and want to be beholden to reloading, then the 300 PRC comes into play. That opens the door for more accuracy - depending on the shooter - for target shooting (not that a 300 WM can't hit a steel plate a mile away, but the 300 PRC has more potential to be more consistent by design).

Honestly, if you're practicing... a 300 WM will open up a lot of available factory ammunition (when it's stocked again), a ton of well-established load data, and that round has taken game at far off distances for decades and decades.

And if you get a 300 WM, you can always rebarrel to the 300 PRC when ammo is more prevalent.

This coming from someone who only reloads for PRS -- if at all. Reloading for hunting baffles me (other than the desire to be the one that created the round that harvested the animal, which I get). A quality box of Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter or some other competitive variant will be accurate enough (with practice) to take game far away.

I found a CA BA Tactical locally. I'm just a little Leary of CA, although my PRC shoots great. It's also $2500, a bit more than ideal.

Surprised me that the S20 has 1-11 twist, but it seems OK using a stability calculator. I do really like the adjustability of the stock.
It's because it is still built for the European market, and that is all the twist rate the most of their end-users. My SAKO M9955 in .300 WM has a 1:11" and harvested a Montana bull elk with 190 Berger at 931Y. Even with 1:11", it is no slouch. The .300 WM (I have 3) is an excellent choice and remains my goto chambering for antelope and elk size game up to 1K yards. Good luck!

ADDED: If you can wait, here's another for your consideration ...

Last edited:
Truth be known, in 30 cal, the normal twist rate for all bullet weights up to 220gr RN is 1:12". The 1:10" twist is actually fast for calibre.
I have zero problems shooting 230gr pills in all of my 1:10" twist 300's.
When I shot Palma, my barrel had 1:13" twist for the stubby 155gr Palma bullets, that twist rate is 'optimal' for that particular bullet.
Anyway, nothing 'wrong' with a 1:11" twist.

Cheers.

Have you explored any Coopers? Typically they'll run a bit over the budget in the $2200-2500 range, but they can be found for less if you're patient. I have one in .204 and another in .22-250, they're both excellent shooters; and I expect a 300 WM would perform the same. To my knowledge, they don't chamber any in 300 PRC... yet, so if you decide to go that route that's another consideration. As ZReed85 mentioned, Seekins also makes a fine rifle as well, but probably at comparable prices as Cooper. It's very tough to get that quality in or under the $2000 price point these days, but I think you'll find something near it that catches your eye.

How about a build. Get just what you want and put it together. Get a new action and order barrel and stock. It will not require much for tools and you are ready to go

Thanks

Buck

Those are all great ideas. I ended up with a CA BA Tactical. Slightly over my budget, but I could see it and hold it. I like my Ridgeline, and decided to keep with a carbon barrel. The stock feels great and is very adjustable.
With inventory down on everything, I may have settled, but it gets me shooting quickly.
Thanks for the input guys.. AJ

Have you explored any Coopers? Typically they'll run a bit over the budget in the $2200-2500 range, but they can be found for less if you're patient. I have one in .204 and another in .22-250, they're both excellent shooters; and I expect a 300 WM would perform the same. To my knowledge, they don't chamber any in 300 PRC... yet, so if you decide to go that route that's another consideration. As ZReed85 mentioned, Seekins also makes a fine rifle as well, but probably at comparable prices as Cooper. It's very tough to get that quality in or under the $2000 price point these days, but I think you'll find something near it that catches your eye.
But they make Coopers in 6.5 Creedmoor. Sorry for masturbating this early in the morning. :)

Wouldn't mind picking up a Christensen either. I see the OP states there may be some issues with them though? Currently in the process of looking for a higher quality 300 WM myself, the good news is there are tons of options, the bad news is that after the holidays I don't have much spare cash floating around for one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.