200 Grain Wildcat - so far so good

Round holes and good accuracy don't necessarily mean you're getting the most from the bullets, though. As I meantioned in the other thread, if it's yawing more out of the muzzle it can hurt its BC.

Also something some may forget about--punching a hole in paper isn't all you ask a hunting rifle to do. One of the reasons I'm leaning toward a faster twist 300 is for on-game performance. Less chance of tumbling on impact and straighter penetration with the long heavy bullets (especially bonded). If Richard gets me the 240's before I get a new barrel, I'll test them and use them if they do OK, but I'm slowly convincing myself they'll do better with a faster twist.

Thanks

I have a single shot so it is always single feed.

O.7 inch bearing surface will be good. It is too late for this hunting season to get a new load ready because I am so far down the road with the 160 Accubonds, but there is always next year.

The way I measure bearing surface is to hold two of them against each other and to place the caliper jaws where ever I begin to see daylight - real scientific. But when your throat is measured in miles instead of hundredths of an inch it doesn't much matter

Thanks again

Guys:

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I fully agree with what Kirby and Jon A have said, and felt that way before they posted.

Please don't get the wrong impression and think that these things are "stabilized". They are simply making round holes and that's all.

Even if they do shoot accurately at longer ranges and still make round holes they will, as far as I'm concerned, not be fully stabilized because of what they are being shot out of.

I am simply playing and experimenting until the new gun gets here. Shoot, if Richard made a 300 grain 7mm ULD I'd probably try it for now just to see what happens.

I believe that the only way these big pills will perferm as desired, and designed, is to shoot them in a much faster twist barrel, and that is coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks ss7. I will see if I can get my hands on some asap.
I would be hopeing for 3000 fps in my Rum. We will see!

7RUMloader:

If Richard doesn't have any let me know and I can probably spare some.

I'm limited by case capacity much more than you, but that will be remedied shortly I hope. I will try compressing a little more if the test loads work o.k. and see what happens. I think I could get 2900 but that's probably about the most with my rig.

Waiting for a new gun is worse than cabin fever.......

Even your 1-9 will be marginal but they'll be fun to shoot and test. Go for it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm emailing him now to add to an earlier order for some 270 cal 169.5's for my first APS rig and more 7mm 169.5's that have been working great in my Rum.
Cabin fever it's more like being tied up in a straight jacket. I've been bouncing off the walls counting the days and weeks as my parts are still on order.
I get excited hearing Bill Bailey and Lerch will be getting theirs here soon to give us some range reports on their turf. I expect that the Chucks in their area will be running for cover when the UPS truck arrives with the package from APS!

IF their were any chucks around here I swear to you they would be in trouble, but all we have is prairie dogs and I think they are a little smaller. we went pdog hunting last night and kept thinking about my UPS delivering my Allen Mag in a couple of weeks so I had to ask the prairie dogs "What can Brown do for You". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take it Easy
Steve

I have at least 80 out of a box of Richard's "prototype" 168 gr 277 RBBT HP bullets that he sent for my little experiment. Experiment was completed within 20 shots.

If anyone wants them, gimme an address and I'll send 'em.

Remember these are 168 grain proto-types NOT the finished 169.5 grain product thus there is no guarantee either expressed or implied. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chucks, PD"S to me they are the same thing... Vermin I typed faster than my brain was working and thats sad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but I just woke up and I'm getting ready for another 12 plus hours of work.
I like the what can brown do for you comment/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My guess would be splatter them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I thought you might like that,

I am going to make a little post about last nights shooting on the hunting topic if you wanna read it.

50, i hate to say i told you so...but if a 10 is doing "pretty well" a 9 will stabilize these bullets.now, as you say,the cold, high altitude,a little more for hunting.an 8 would probably be perfect.these low twist numbers are a lot of torque.can't see using more than needed.of course a 210 or 220 might pop up if a fella was sportin a 7 twist?

ss7mm, i can't wait to just see these things!

Dave,

I would agree with you if barrel twist rates were as consistant as the match grade bullets we are shooting out of them.

Sadly they are not.

If that Wby has an old krieger barrel on it from the factory it is cut rifled. Cut rifled barrels tend to be closer to the listed twist rate then a button rifled twist is.

As such whenever I order a Lilja barrel, I always order 1" faster twist them I think I need. While they are close, they generally are 1/2 to 3/4" off in twist. This is not just Lilja barrels but all button rifled barrels on average.

We still have not proven the 200 gr ULD is stabile in the 1-10 twist barrel but we will see soon. Testing over longer range will tell us what we need to know. I know Dick is on that task with the 1-10 twist 7mm Wby.

I myself just finished up a batch of freshly fireformed 7mm Allen Mag test loads for testing in my 1-9 Shilen barrel. Started at 94.0 gr of WC872 and stopped at 104.0 gr

I plan to set the chrono up at around 6:00 AM and see what we can get. Will probably shoot at 200 or 300 yards and see how they land on paper.

My comments about the twist is because I have personally seen what was supposed to be a 1-9 twist 6mm barrel not shoot the 105 gr A-Max bullets in a 243 AI. On the other hand I have seen a 1-10 6mm barrel shoot the 107 gr SMKs in a 6mm-06 with great accuracy for a sporter rifle.

Strange things happen in our sport.

I like your comments about a 210-215 gr ULD, originally that was the plan with This bullets prototype, may yet become a reality, especially if I can top 3300 fps with a 200 gr ULD RBBT in the 7mm Allen Mag.

Targets and testing will tell the tell!!!

I will post results tomorrow!

Kirby Allen(50)

this whole topic reminds me of an experience that I had a couple years ago, the very first custom gun that I ever had built was a 6mm Ack Imp with a 1-12" twist after several seasons my shooting habits changed as I realized that a hi B.C.bullet at 3000fps is far better long range medicine than a low B.C.bullet at 4000fps, so I started tinkering with bullets with a higher B.C. and found that the Lapua 90gr Scenar shot VERY well (it is supposed to have a 10" twist to stabilize). me and goodgrouper and 7mmrhb shot one weekend and everything was fine ,the next weekend we went back to the same spot only 20degrees colder with a hint of fog and every single bullet went through the target sideways, you can cheat twist a bit in 100degrees ,but the colder it gets the cheating stops.
fiftydriver is correct in going with a faster twist to compensate for temperature and humidity and mother natures other forces.
B

i realize the safety factors of twist rates that should be used as compared with rates that will stabilize a bullet.after seeing the bullet next to a 160 accubond,i made the statement that i thought a 9 would stabilize it when no one else seemed to think it would.i'm not recomending using a 9 twist,but i think an "actual" 8 twist would be enough.there is already discussion on the torque factor and we're not shooting at 3200 with a 7 twist yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.