200 grain 6.5mm bullets.

KMG

This is a little reminiscing mixed with high expectations. I was going thru P. O. Ackleys' "Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, Vol. 1, the other day. I've always had a certain affinity for the 6.5 so to speak. Upon reading I had forgotten about the mention of 200 grain 6.5 bullets. They were being experimented with in the 6.5 Barnes QT & the 264 Win Mag & this was proof to the 1962 copyright. With the vast amount of improvements that have been made in the loading reloading industry over the decades. I for one would like to see what a projectile of such proportions loaded in one of today's Super Mags would be capable of. I know these were long round nose bullets with huge bearing surfaces back in the day, but this is 2017, 55 years after this information was printed. Just think of a 6.5mm bullet in the 180 class even, maybe Styled along the lines of a Berger Classic Hunter to keep overall length down. Personally I'm thinking more along the lines of the 7mm 195gr offering in a 6.5mm tho! Speculation, Pipe dream, Food for thought? Sometimes it's how they become reality. KMG

Stability..
Barrel would have to be ~4tw!
Barrel Life..
Super overbores to drive a 200gr offer little barrel life.
Velocity..
The higher the velocity the higher potential BC with any given bullets. So this is lost with very low MV.

Good old Barnes originals! I read once this combination was a favorite of Connie Brooks (Barnes Co-owner).

Something in the 150-160 grain would prompt me to re-barrel something.

Hi Carl......Matrix makes both a 150 and 160. I like the 159's best and have killed a few animals with them including a moose at 900 yards with the SS (MY BUDDY). I know a guy that has a couple reamers you could use!:D...Rich

HMMM! I didn't realize Matrix was still out there. I didn't see a 160, but still??? I have a couple of possibles in the safe. We'll have to sit down and make a plan after the season.

Stability..
Barrel Life..
Velocity..
The higher the velocity the higher potential BC with any given bullets. So this is lost with very low MV.
Stability..
Barrel Life..
Velocity..

In years gone by they were running the 200gr bullets in a 24" 7tw & 5.5tw barrels and achieved 2624fps with a modest charge of 61.5 grains of H870. Mind you this performance was achieved in a 6.5x55 Improved Arch cartridge. They achieved more velocity out of the 264 Win Mag, 2800+ with a 78 grain charge of H202 from a 5tw 26" barrel. There is 50+ years of advancements that could be able to these equations. Better machining, powders, barrel coatings, bullet technology, ect. Just look how far bullet technology has come in last few years alone. Kevin

I.use lapua 155 grain mega tip bullets they are awesome in my 264 win mag sand my 260 Remington .They have .377 bc but knock a big hole in anything.You hit with them .I read some Elmer Keith articles where he tried the 200 grain 6.5 bullets in the 264 win mag .He didn't Like the 264 bullets blew up bad back then !

As was already stated, Matrix maxes a 160 VLD. Matrix advertises a G1 BC of .685, Applied Ballistics however show a G1 BC of .648 for this bullet in their bullet library. Matrix also makes a 129, a 142, and a 150. According to their site, the 160 only needs a 1 in 8 twist, pretty standard in most 6.5's these days.

http://www.matrixballistics.com/.264-Caliber-hunting-bullets.html

While this is a great bullet, I feel that Berger could create a bullet of this type with even higher bc. I personally have emailed them, asking them to consider creating a heavy weight 6.5 such as the 195 7mm, specifically suggesting a 160 Elite Hunter. I believe they could achieve a G1 BC over .7, and considering I can push a 147 at 3100 from my .260 AI, I think I could push a 160 with a high bc just fine. And while a higher bc 160 may require a 1-7 or 1-7.5, I live at 6600 ft, with my 8 twist I show a sg of 1.90 with the 160 Matrix according to the Berger stability Calculator.

I've switched my 6.5wsm over to the 160 Matrix some time ago. Even at 1-8.4" twist, stability is fine at ~3100fps. I too would like to see what could be done with a higher weight/higher BC 6.5 pill. Even if just for curiosity's sake.

t

I have the 142, 150 and 160 Matrix for future use in my 6.5 Sherman. Just finished my 140 HVLDs workup and when our heatwave is over, will start on them.

I will probably use the 150s, as Rich suggested, but would like to see how fast I could push the 160s. I am aware of the heavier jacket on the 160 gr. No grizzly in Texas, so I'll have to pass on the 200 grainers. So far, the 150s are sorting out real well. Steve, the new owner of Matrix, is a fine guy to deal with and answers inquiries quickly.

I have the 142, 150 and 160 Matrix for future use in my 6.5 Sherman. Just finished my 140 HVLDs workup and when our heatwave is over, will start on them.

I will probably use the 150s, as Rich suggested, but would like to see how fast I could push the 160s. I am aware of the heavier jacket on the 160 gr. No grizzly in Texas, so I'll have to pass on the 200 grainers. So far, the 150s are sorting out real well. Steve, the new owner of Matrix, is a fine guy to deal with and answers inquiries quickly.
With RL33 and likely N570 you can hit 3100+ with the 160's.

I laid in a supply of N-570 for the heavy pills and will also try the RL-26 when it cools off. I haven't given up on it yet. My Sherman bolt is off to Stiller Precision for adjustment on M16 extractor, but I'll let you know what I learn on the N570.

You beat me to it Rich, I was just about to say that. Which also speaks to the strength and efficiency of the 6.5 Sherman. I haven't tried to exceed 3100' (which is where I run) but now that I have a little more experience with the WSM under my belt, I honestly don't believe I can safely push it much faster.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.