200 grain 6.5 revisited (Attention Elkaholic, and Hammer)

I picked up the rifle today. Current load pushes a 124 grain Hammer Hunter to 3960 fps. Steve tested to 1100 yards with good results.

I've also been blessed with a Wyoming Antelope Tag. Hopefully those 2 pieces of good news collide in September.

Bear season here opens August 1, plenty of June moisture, the berries should be good, and perhaps we can collide with a bear as well.

I would think a 6.5-.338 Norma Mag Improved would be even better, still have the Lapua/Peterson brass option, but an even shorter and more efficient powder column. Use that to push your 131 Hammer in a 7.5 twist, maybe hit 3900 with it? That would be pretty awesome as well.

Been there, done that since 2012 with the 6.5 Prometheus at 105 gr H20 and still doing it with the 6.5 Skuldryl at 110 gr H20 with Peterson and Lapua brass, the coolest 6.5mm cartridge on the planet, 6.5 SKULDRYL
B04859BB-F305-40B6-85E5-BBCF0ADEF80A.jpeg
5CF9E8D2-455E-4663-A038-80C9FA1BD374.jpeg

I picked up the rifle today. Current load pushes a 124 grain Hammer Hunter to 3960 fps. Steve tested to 1100 yards with good results.

I've also been blessed with a Wyoming Antelope Tag. Hopefully those 2 pieces of good news collide in September.

Bear season here opens August 1, plenty of June moisture, the berries should be good, and perhaps we can collide with a bear as well.
Congrats on the Antelope tag And Bear season sounds really promising

.......Been there, done that since 2012 with the 6.5 Prometheus at 105 gr H20 and still doing it with the 6.5 Skuldryl at 110 gr H20 with Peterson and Lapua brass, the coolest 6.5mm cartridge on the planet, 6.5 SKULDRYL.........

You always take good pictures. The Norma's likely the better way to go if one has the action to support it.

From the beginning this has been about education and entertainment. High on the list of learned, is diving in again something supporting the Norma case would get the nod.

Tags in hand should keep the entertainment rolling.

You always take good pictures. The Norma's likely the better way to go if one has the action to support it.

From the beginning this has been about education and entertainment. High on the list of learned, is diving in again something supporting the Norma case would get the nod.

Tags in hand should keep the entertainment rolling.

I just use whatever iphone I have on hand (7+) for the photo shoot with a bit of background set up on the kitchen countertop, seems the kitchen has the best lighting in the house for these type of photos, always impresses the gal, especially when I leave the stuff on there for hours, lol

The 6.5 Skuldryl is the final result of testing multiple versions in multiple calibers over the years, this one works the way I had envisioned and I have zero complaints in using necked down, fireformed 300 NM brass from Peterson & Lapua...

Really wish the big bullet would've worked for you. I guess though, there's always a limit to what you can do. Bullet length being one of those limiting factors. That thing's gotta be a laser with the 124 though.

There may be a design that will. We just found one that didn't work within our parameters.

The issue showed up while being driven hard. Perhaps slight reduction in length, velocity would turn up something very useful.

Swamplord put me in mind of a picture. .260 Remington, alongside the Ultracat.

IMG-0400.jpg

Well circle is a bit more complete. Took the rifle out for antelope. If there was any doubt the 124 Hammer started at 3960 fps would take antelope at 90 yards, we've put that to rest LOL!

Strange year all around, the day I was going to put the rifle through some pre-season paces, I woke up unable to walk, and that's pretty much been the situation since. Fortunately good friends got me there and back, and a cooperative buck gave his all to finalize the season.

It took little searching for a position I could get into, but standing, with a modified rest from the UTV proved very solid.

Rifle is heavy enough for the recoil, spotting hits is pretty easy. Impact created a visible wave in the animal, zero wiggle, massive blood loss, some loss of meat, but certainly not comparable with lead core bullets I've used. We heard the impact, and It was a significant slap.

I'll try to add a picture or 2, friend took them, and downloading them from the "cloud" has eluded me.

So start to finish-that's how such a project develops. There maybe more in the distant future, but short term I've got a date with neurosurgeon.

A thank you to Hammer, and all the others bringing this together.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.