200 gr. Eldx

I used the 200 ELD-X in my 300 WM for a cow elk hunt. Took a cow at 225 yards through the chest. JBM Ballistics said my bullet was at 2660 fps at that range. Bullet core separated from jacket. I called Hornady to discuss what I consider a bullet failure. They said I exceeded "maximum impact velocity" for the bullet. Remember, their advertisements show bullet expansion at 2660 fps! So I asked what "maximum impact velocity" would be for the 200 gr ELD-X, and they told me 2300 fps! When I asked if I was supposed to let everything walk out to 400 yards before I pulled the trigger, their response was that "for close-up shots, I should use the GMX!" I switched to a bonded bullet and never looked back! Used the bonded bullets with predictable success on 6 plains game animals in South Africa and 5 more in New Zealand. Hornady would have a great bullet, if they used a better method to keep their cores from flowing out of the jacket!

What cal. A bolt are you shooting. I have one in 7mm stw and i really like it.

300 WM/ older model A Bolt that I inherited. It has a 26 inch skinny barrel, that was brutal to shoot. After a conference with a couple of muzzle brake gurus who thought the barrel was too thin to thread, I put a clamp on Witt brake on it and it made a world of difference. Worked up to 77 grains of H1000 with the 200 ELDX and it shoots very well. My son has a 300 WBY that didnt like the 200 ELDX, but loves the 215 Berger with RE-25, go figure.

Well I went out and shot 2 more shots of 70.5 gr. One hole group in the same poi as the last group. Shot 71.5. Shot good and 71.7. They both shot pretty good but 70.5 seems to be the better node. It's time for more powder so I'll figure out the velocity that 70.5 is and then dial in that velocity with a new jug of powder. Really hoping this load works out!

In my tikka I seat to longest I can squeeze into mag with 200 eldx and hs4831sc at 72.9. Center of node. .5-.75" at 100 all day. Getting 2925fps

Have same gun with same results. Only problem is kicks like a mule. Lord that tikka is lite.

Backed down to 150& 165 gr with reloader 19 with nosler partion. 3/4 moa at 100 and shoots a 3 inch group very consistent at 300yards. Worked good out to 500 and recoil is much better.

Have same gun with same results. Only problem is kicks like a mule. Lord that tikka is lite.

Backed down to 150& 165 gr with reloader 19 with nosler partion. 3/4 moa at 100 and shoots a 3 inch group very consistent at 300yards. Worked good out to 500 and recoil is much better.

I bet that recoil is brutal. Mine with this brake kicks like my 6.5 cm. I would never shoot a light weight 300 with heavy bullets for this reason

Reviving an old thread, I just picked up 200 of these for a sammi chamber 300 win mag Remington 700. Trying to find other powder options other than 4831, rl 26 or h1000 that is working well. From what I've been reading maybe mag pro or ramshot magnum might be worth a look. At this point I only have a small amount of imr4350. Are there any other Hodgon, imr or reloders that work well? Thanks in advance and best wishes!

Reviving an old thread, I just picked up 200 of these for a sammi chamber 300 win mag Remington 700. Trying to find other powder options other than 4831, rl 26 or h1000 that is working well. From what I've been reading maybe mag pro or ramshot magnum might be worth a look. At this point I only have a small amount of imr4350. Are there any other Hodgon, imr or reloders that work well? Thanks in advance and best wishes!
IMR 4350 or H4350 worked well for me with CCI #200.

Thank you guys for the quick response. I have a friend who's gonna let me try ramshot magnum and magpro. I have both 4350s as well. Would you guys know a good start and stop with those powders? I can reference the hodgdon online manual with a 200 gr. Bullet if not. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Ramshot Mag I'd go 76 to 81 grains. I shoot a mild 80 grains out of my Dad's with 181 Hammers and it's right at 3000 fps and puts 5 shots at just over 0.5 MOA. Great load for elk!

Recent Posts