200 gr Barnes in 300 RUM

NorCal67

I'm going on a pig hunt here in CA in January, and the central coast is non-lead already. In a couple more years the whole state will be. I've done a number of searches, and there's not a lot of load data for the 200 grain Barnes LRX in the 300 RUM. Anything you have for Retumbo or H1000 would be appreciated, as that is what I've got on hand. I've also read that they're not finicky about seating depth? Thanks in advance.

COAL: 3.850
Retumbo: 93.5
Barrel: 26.5" Krieger with Harrels Radial brake
FPS: 3123

Still working on it but showing promise.

My Barnes loads always work better with one groove fully exposed.

Load safe

I will be practicing on pigs on the Central Coast and taking it on a cow elk hunt in December.

Thank You sir. My son has a youth cow hunt in Colorado as soon as school is out on Christmas. Backward from you, but a similar story...

I have a early Sendero stainless, factory stock rifle except for a large muscle brake and of course bedding. Working on a load with the 200 barnes lrx and 90 grains of H-1000. Last test was with OAL of 3.66 which feeds in the factory magazine no problem. Will shoot 2 1/2 " at 500 yards with this load. Have not chronographed it yet but should be knockin on 3100.

Was having performance issues with my bullet choice in my 280 Ackley so I took the RUM whitetail hunting yesterday morning. Shot a cull buck at a whole 50 yards in the neck with this load. Needless to say no tracking was involved :).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.