200 Etip in 338 Rum

hypersonic

I am getting back into my 338 RUM after having it tucked away for 3 years. Well my better half as been cracking on me for the last couple of years about lead bullets and lead in meat. So I have been switching over to non lead bullets in my main hunting rigs. I have been running Barnes TTSX bullets in a few calibers, results have been good right across the board from load work ups to putting game down. I was thinking on the 225 TTSX for the RUM but none to be found same with 185's. I did land 100 200 grain E tips. I have loaded 140 grain E tip's for one of my hunting buddies in 7 Rem and he has been putting big whitetails and mule deer down like flicking a switch. Not too worried about the performance of the bullet I should be able to drive them more than fast enough. I have drawn a Moose and an Elk tag this year and will be hunting Prairie so shots can be long I can usually work closer to a point, but have to hedge my bets at 400-500 yards.

So before I start burning powder I was wondering if anyone here has worked with these bullets in the 338 Rum?. I can always fall back on my 300 Win but with a double tag season like this and how rare they are for me, I want all the jam I can spread. I have all the necessary powders not a huge amount but hopefully enough to find a good load without wasting too many components.

So if any of you folks have any experience with the 200 E tips I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance

Hype

I'd think strongly about the Barnes 265 or 280 LRX if you are using a 338 RUM. The 200gr bullet is better suited to a 338 Federal. You've got a lot of power in the 338 RUM, so make it count.

The LRXs are easily available and will fit with no problem even though they're advertised as a 338 Lapua bullet. They fit in my 340 Wby just fine, so your larger 338 RUM will be no problem.

Otherwise Midway and Natchez both have the 225s; not sure where you were looking for them.

I'd think strongly about the Barnes 265 or 280 LRX if you are using a 338 RUM. The 200gr bullet is better suited to a 338 Federal. You've got a lot of power in the 338 RUM, so make it count.

The LRXs are easily available and will fit with no problem even though they're advertised as a 338 Lapua bullet. They fit in my 340 Wby just fine, so your larger 338 RUM will be no problem.

Otherwise Midway and Natchez both have the 225s; not sure where you were looking for them.

Sorry I should have said I am in Canada so still seeing the shortage in components more so than in the States right now. Things do pop up from time to time but disappear almost in an instant once the word gets out still quite a bit of hoarding going on right now.

Well worked up a load for this bullet today and pretty good results

Here it is
Nosler 200 Etip
Rem Brass
92 of 7828-SSC
CCI-250
150 off the lands
Velocity averaged out over 9 shots
3143 fps
ES 7
SD 3

Went up to 93.5 just started to see some primer flattening but groups we crappy.
92 showed the best promise so I worked with seating depth to arrive at this load.
will try to post a picture so you guys can see what the group looks like at 100 yards. Next outing I will start stretching it out and see how groups are and what the drops are like. I also scoped myself for the first time with this rifle and she bit me good. I am now considering a brake when a re barrel is in order.

Hopefully this helps out anyone who wants to try out this bullet. That is a 3 shot group had 2 more pretty much the same. Need to shoot this some more and see if it is consistent.

Attachments

• IMG_20150726_155752.jpg
    IMG_20150726_155752.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Excellent performance, very good groups in a Custom rifle of one of my clients.-Benchmark Barrel at 27in, high tech stock, glassbedded,Cerakote, and a z6 on top.
cal.338 Win Mag.- 200gr E tip for this hunt and for sure any hunt..... for sure you can count on this pills. 5 shots at various distances From 110yds to almost 600 and this are the results.

Attachments

• 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 145
Excellent performance, very good groups in a Custom rifle of one of my clients.-Benchmark Barrel at 27in, high tech stock, glassbedded,Cerakote, and a z6 on top.
cal.338 Win Mag.- 200gr E tip for this hunt and for sure any hunt..... for sure you can count on this pills. 5 shots at various distances From 110yds to almost 600 and this are the results.

Nice animals two of them are on my bucket list the Boo and the Ram are must do's for me before I take the dirt nap. What velocity is he getting in his 338Win? I would have liked to get more speed out of RUM but I can't argue with the groups I am getting with 92 of 7828. I am hoping that this is repeatable and consistent next time out. I ran the numbers last night and I have enough speed out to 500 yards for decent expansion on moose and elk. If I go with shoulder shots I should be just fine and not have to worry about any tracking.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.