20 Vartarg VS 17 Remington Fireball

Greg Duerr

Im torn between getting a 20 vartarg or the 17 Rem FB............................I will be using it for a Bobcat/ Coyote/ Gray Fox............ Fur Rifle and for Ground squirrels, Jackrabbits, Marmonts......

Im looking at having a Custom Rifle built for one or the other ....

Would appreciate your comments and experience ..............................

G

20 VT hands down.
The extra bullet weight (32-40 gr. bullets) will give you the edge on the 17 FB for the bigger critters. We have taken rock chucks out to 512 yards with the 20 VT. Very easy to load for too:D

-Mike

Mike

Do you use your 20VT for Fox? What bullet would you use on Fox if you were concerned about the Pelt?
What Rifle do you have your VT in. I've been looking at the Cooper's Either the Classic in the MDL 21 or if I dont want to wait I can get one today in the MDL 21 Phoenix..................................It just the extra weight, as I will be useing it for Bobcat out here in Nevada and there is a little walking involved. One of the reasons to have one made up the way I would want it.............................The only issue might be getting an action.

Greg

Mike

Do you use your 20VT for Fox? What bullet would you use on Fox if you were concerned about the Pelt?
What Rifle do you have your VT in. I've been looking at the Cooper's Either the Classic in the MDL 21 or if I dont want to wait I can get one today in the MDL 21 Phoenix..................................It just the extra weight, as I will be useing it for Bobcat out here in Nevada and there is a little walking involved. One of the reasons to have one made up the way I would want it.............................The only issue might be getting an action.

Greg

Greg,
the 30 gr. Berger's or 32 v-max's/ 32 sierra bk's would be possible bullets for fox to minimize pelt damage. I haven't shot a fox with mine, so I couldn't tell you for sure if you would get a pass through with a large exit?
I'm actually shooting the 20 VT out of an XP-100 bolt pistol w/16" 1-11 twist barrel.

MV with 32 gr. v-maxes is right at 3500, and 3250 fps with 39 gr sierra bk's. You will gain 200-250 fps out of a 22" rifle barrel. You won't go wrong with the Cooper. Most reports that I've heard about the Cooper's chambered in 20 VT are groups 1/4 moa or better.

Give Todd Kindler at the Wood Chuck Den a call, and he can set you up with all the goodies for the 20 VT if you go that route.

The 20 VT is an ultra efficient round that's easy on barrels, and very accurate. Mine will keep five shots under 1-1/8" @ 300 yards on a regular basis. Should handle yotes to that distance no problem with good shot placement. We did a ground squirrel hunt this spring with connections out to 425 yards (in a stiff wind). 325 rnds through the gun in 5 hrs. The barrel never got more than slightly warm to the touch, and had no copper build up when I cleaned it the next day.
I like the 20 VT so much, I'm building another one:D

Good luck!

-Mike

Mike

Your from South West Oregon................I fish on the Blitzen out of Fields. Would love to settle in Jorden Valley one day.

I shoot the Alfalfa Fields in Central Nevada .............Never had a day like you were talking about but had a 640 round day...........................Mostly 22K Hornets and one .221 Fireball.

Its just to bad you can test drive a rifle before you buy. Would love to shoot the VT and would also love to shoot the 25gr out of a 17 FB. I Sold a .19 Badger that shot a 32gr at 3550. Its just that I had one choice in bullets and Had heard that James Calhoon had sold his bullet making dies..........................that scared me off...........................

Mike

that is one wild looking pistol.......................what size barrel is that .....looks like a #5 ....By the way did you happen to find the other half of the squirrel?

I am interested in this discussion.

I've got a switch barrel that came with 6mm BR and a .17 Remington barrels.

Because of the lead ban in CA and personal preference, I have no 17 cal bullets available at all. (Unless GS can get me some)

I have been mulling over a 20 cal using the 26grain Barnes Lead Free Flat Base.

20 Practicle or 20 Vartarg are what I'm down to.

Mike

that is one wild looking pistol.......................what size barrel is that .....looks like a #5 ....By the way did you happen to find the other half of the squirrel?

Greg,
1.25" all the way to the muzzle. -You can watch the hits through the scope. Will be getting out more this winter with the fox pro. It's a lot of fun smokin' coyotes with a pistol:D
The remainder of the squirrel was scattered in a 5 yard radius from his noggin.
-Mike

I hunt fox with the .17 Fireball. Shot a few Eastern Coyotes with it and feel it is not enough. For coyotes the vartag is better. Fox the fireball is better. Or, head shots only on fox with the vartag?

I have both and use them of Red Fox and the European brown rabbit we have downunder.
For Fox`s I was using using the 17 with 20 V-Max at 4000fps and was getting a bit of Splashing so next winter I will be moving up to the 25 V-Max.
Wirth the 20 vartarg I use 32 gr V-Max at around 3750 fps.

My suggestion is to get two rifles built up exactly the same.Same stock, barrel,action ,trigger and scope.One chambered in the 20 VT the other in 17 Fireball.After a season of calling report back and tell us which one you prefer.

When I go out they both come with me.:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.