.20 VarTarg: Enough firepower for coyotes?

I've killed several with the 5.7x28 and 17HMR. If you hit them in the front half of the body with any 32-40gr 20cal bullet, they will not go far. Keep your shots under 350 yards and you will have success.

Hope this isn't the wrong approach, I shot a Mach4 for a couple years with Todd Kindlers 30's. I still love that setup. I killed a ton of coyotes and was really surprised it became my go to rifle. I stepped up the velocity and went to a 223 based 17. Similar results with heavy bullets. Try heavies, BC goes up penetration goes up wind drift goes down. We aren't talking huge bc's, but Berger still makes a great bullet for the 20's. If you aren't saving hides shoot them with a 50 Caliber. If you are looking for a stellar hunt. Shoot them with a heavy 20. I have no experience with 20's other than light 20's out of the 204 Ruger. Relatives that shoot them and ask me if I want them. I always do because they are worth dealing with here in Western Wyoming. Lot's of sewing. The 221 Fireball is a perfect platform for a 40 lb. critter. wether it's 30 caliber, 22 20 or 17. Great little cartridge. Hope this was worth your time.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.