20 second stand (graphic yote pic)

Korhil78

Decided to go out this morning about 3/4 of a mile east of my house and set up. I always make sure that I sneak in really quiet (glad that I did). I sat down and started calling on my ruffidawg reed call. I called MAYBE 15 second and I turned to my left and a coyote come running out from a round a bush about 20 yards from me. I swund the gun around while turning my scope power down to 6.5. He saw me and turned to run so I put it right where the sun doesnt shine and squeezed the trigger on my 6.5 Grendel. The 100 gr Nosler ballistic tip tore through him all the way up to his chest.

I guess he thought that a snake had bitten him because he turned around and grabbed his intestines that were hanging out and started biting and tearing them (he still has them in his mouth in the pic). As you can tell, I dont skin them. I just want them to die on the spot and fast. Down here in southern New Mexico, we dont get the nice fur that you guys get up north. They are a huge nuisance down here.

photo.jpg

The last pair I shot was with my 243 Win and 95gr superformance SST. The first one was through both shoulders and heart. When I skinned him out that whole area had been liquified.

The second (which I didn't see until after I shot the first) came bolting towards me from 140 yards, then stopped to look back for his partner. He also got the butt shot except that the bullet entered at the base of the tail and blew apart both hips. The bullet did not exit. The entire back 4" of spine was just fragments.

I did skin both of them out and they are prime hides less some small damaged areas on both. I'm having them tanned, not selling. I have promised my Minipins fur coats from coyote hide to keep them warm in winter...

I also did European style treatment of both skulls.

If you look at the pic, you can see all that open terrain in the distance. On the far end there is a thick mesquite grove. I was expecting to call a coyote out of there that might have been bedded down. I would have been able to see it coming the whole way. But things never happen as planned in a yote hunting scenario. He must have been bedded down not even 200 yds to my left. Go figure

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts