20 practical bullet seating

rickdavis81

All of my parts are coming in for my 20 practical build. Ordered a Redding type s full length 223 bushing die, 204 decapping assembly and 233 and 225 bushings to make the brass. Can I use a standard 223 bullet seating die or do I need a Redding comp die or something else?

Best to use a .204 type seating die. I use a Hornady Custom Grade .204R seater that will work on any/all .204 calibers.

Brownell's has a .20 Hornady seater die, in stock, for $29.99 - look for Hornady dies/die sets for any/all .20 calibers.

Any Hornady seater of this type having the shorter body may be modified by replacing the inner sleeve and stem with those intended for a .204 diameter bullet

The custom Lee collet die with a seater die is a real good solution - I might get both.

The .20 Practical is just that, probably the best mid range, hi-volume, rodent killer cartridge ever. Buckets of cheap .223 brass, small powder charges, minimal heat & long barrel life, and relatively inexpensive bullets. I use either CFE223 or IMR8208 with the 40 gr. .204 VMax bullet & CCI #41 primers. My rifle has a 24", 11 twist, #3 McGowen barrel & weighs 7 pounds. The barrel is 8 years old & with about 3,500 rounds thru it. A Ruger M77 MKII that was a .223. I also use a .223, .204R & .22-250.

I had my .20P shooting yesterday with remaining 2020-21 season ammo, 25.5 gr. IMR8208 & 40 VMax. Impressive 300 yard performance during light variable winds. A good choice!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I just got my reloading room set back up after building a new house and moving. Haven't had time to do much shooting or loading in the last couple years. Hopefully we can get our corn cut this week so I can stretch the legs on some rifles and work on cleaning up my shooting range

I have a 20 practical and use it to shoot pdogs There are great articles on 6mmBR. Great info and good loads. Fun to shoot and no recoil

I shot prairie dogs for 40 years with various 22 centerfires. I liked the idea of a 20 cal, but was bent out of shape that Ruger did not use the 223 case for their 204. Finally, about 7 years ago, I read about the 20P and I had some rifles built. I've had Ackleys and other fireformed cartridges, but I just wanted to go with a straight neck down and not have to waste components fireforming for 20 Tac.
Really, really sweet results. Very easy to tune, heavy barrel stays relatively cool, shoots a little flatter and so fast that windage is manageable for the distances I shoot.