20 Nosler

With the issues I have experienced with the 22 Nosler(some of these would be eliminated with a bolt gun) I would not build a 20 Nosler. If you feel like you need that general case capacity look at the 6 Hagar. I have stated running my 22 nosler as a 22 "Nosgar". If you don't want to mess with the bolt head but want the case capacity look at the br case.

With the issues I have experienced with the 22 Nosler(some of these would be eliminated with a bolt gun) I would not build a 20 Nosler. If you feel like you need that general case capacity look at the 6 Hagar. I have stated running my 22 nosler as a 22 "Nosgar". If you don't want to mess with the bolt head but want the case capacity look at the br case.
What issues please? I have 4 ar uppers and the only issue might be an adjustable has block is a neccesity.

What issues please? I have 4 ar uppers and the only issue might be an adjustable has block is a neccesity.
Premature pressure signs damaged case rims and yes an adjustable block can fix them but the problems are instantly gone with Hagar brass and the correct bolt. There are just too many easier and better options for both the AR and bolt platform to deal with it. The cartridge was a flop and components will not be around long relatively speaking.

I went through a 20 cal phase and love the caliber but if I were building an ar in 20 and in this case capacity it would be a straight 20 hagar. In a bolt gun I would just go BR.

If the 22 Nosler is a flop, hope I have enough brass to wear this barrel out on this bolt gun I built.
I have had zero issues and am happy with it to split the difference between 223/5.56 and 22-250.

I have 10 pieces of brass that started as factory ammo. On its 10th reload and I have not been what one would call "nice" to it. Annealed every other time, trimmed once and could use another though it's not over max, primer pockets are fine. Anything I get past 7-8 loads on, I feel is just a bonus. I don't run brass till it fails, seems to fail at the worst time.

It's my understanding the 20 Nosler should be a little more efficient than the 204 Ruger and therefore will be a little faster. I love my 204 R. but there are several more efficient 20's that i enjoy as well. We'll see if they ever really do come out with a 20 Nosler or if the 20 cal. rage is fading and Nosler puts it on the back burner for ever.
I burned out a 204 barrel with about 3500 rounds over a few years shooting PD's. I can imagine a 20 Nosler would be a real barrel burner with little advantage in performance.

I burned out a 204 barrel with about 3500 rounds over a few years shooting PD's. I can imagine a 20 Nosler would be a real barrel burner with little advantage in performance.
I trying my best to wear out my 204, ordering another barrel this fall

Well I'm continuing this OLD thread. Just finished my 20 Nosler build. Started in 2017 right after Nosler announced the cartridge. Thanks to Bryant I finally found brass and went forward. Bob Green sent it back to me last month.
Cooper 21 action from a 204 Ruger I have shoots 1/4" MOA in 204 very accurate Cooper
PacNor 3 groove 9 twist barrel 24"same contour as Wilson barrel on Cooper
55 gr Berger VLD's

Little disappointed with the speeds I found although still working on it. No where near case capacity and reach pressure signs.
Varget 3,550 fps 8.6 SD
H 4895 3525 fps 10.2 SD
IMR 4064 3575 fps 8.4 SD
N- 203B 3540 fps 10.6 SD
All powders shoot under 1/2" MOA several 5 shot groups were 1/4" so looks like I'll have a 3,500 fps prairie dog shooter good to 500 yds.

@rcol317 what did your brass look like when you got it?

How is the case capacity?

I really expected your project to get over 3600 with the Berger 55 and I'm wondering why it hits pressure so soon?

The brass was good Nosler brass. I weighed it and all seemed as good as any brass I have ever used from Nosler.

The case is not full by any means but these powders are showing pressure. I've shot a few more and have had signs of pressure so am working on loads of reduced loads. Tried a few slower powders and didnt help. Looks like Varget, N 135 and IMR 4064 are the best. I'm disappointed as well thinking case capacity would have given better speed but I'm learning case capacity isn't always the key. Case design is by far more relevant.

This may well have been the reason Nosler dropped the production?

The 20 Nosler is a great VERY ACCURATE round and will shoot 55's 3,500 +/- but I'm thinking 3,600 is still a pipe dream. I'll be testing it this summer on PD's and think those 55 Bergers may be the ticket out to 500 yds. Even at 3500 fps still out does my 22 cals with 55-60 gr rounds. The recoil is nice so I can spot my shots with a can on the end and that's always a plus

Many thanks for sharing your work.

I was excited when Nosler first talked about the design so I started gathering parts for a build to throw Berger 55s, but when they stalled I went 204 R for 39/40 grain bullets (and that one is assembled and ready to start tests).

I'll be starting up another project specifically for the Berger 55 but based on brass availability and case volume it will either be something like a 20 Dasher or a 20-250 . Those two have already shown to be able to get well over 3600, which was why I am surprised the 20 Nosler didn't.

Did you try 4831?

Many thanks for sharing your work.

I was excited when Nosler first talked about the design so I started gathering parts for a build to throw Berger 55s, but when they stalled I went 204 R for 39/40 grain bullets (and that one is assembled and ready to start tests).

I'll be starting up another project specifically for the Berger 55 but based on brass availability and case volume it will either be something like a 20 Dasher or a 20-250 . Those two have already shown to be able to get well over 3600, which was why I am surprised the 20 Nosler didn't.

Did you try 4831?
The 20 Nosler is SAAMI approved but never announced by Nosler so I don't understand your "stalled" statement. The Small Nosler case is ~83% the capacity of the Dasher and ~77% of the 250 case so I don't comprehend how you would expect the Nosler case to compete.