20 Moa scope base

Gerald114

So I can see that there are quite a few posts on here concerning scope bases, but I'm still looking for some clarification. I just recently rebuilt a Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag and put a vortex viper PST 6-24x50 ffp on it. Probably more magnification than I need, but I got a screaming deal on the scope. From what I've read online it sounds like a 20 Moa base is impractical for hunting below 600 yards, but a couple threads on this forum make it sound like this might not be the case. The majority of my hunting will be inside 600 yards, but I live on a farm and have room to throw lead at a target just about as far as I want so of course I'm going to try for those 1000+ yard shots. Is putting a 20 Moa base on this gun for bench rest shooting going to make it impractical for the kind of hunting I want to do with it or not?

Thanks for the replies guys!! I'm new to the forum today and after doing a little surfing I found a fairly recent thread that would have answered my question. Seems like an awesome community you guys have! Going to be using the site a lot in the near future as this is my gateway gun to long range shooting and I've got a Hornady L&L classic reloading kit showing up later this week.

What you have read online is correct, you don't need 20 moa base with most quality scopes to shoot 600 and in. However, it will negatively effect you in no way to have one. Problem comes most of the time when people say they are going to shoot 600. You will get the bug to stretch it further and further as your A) Reloading skills get better and better and B) Shooting skills further develop. Usually most of the base companies charge no more for 20 moa base that flat so why not set yourself up just in case you want to stretch it further in the future. Welcome to the LRH family brother.

A quality rail is important, no matter if it's flat or has 20 MOA built in. Go to EGW rails for a fine piece at a good price. And use TPS rings for the same reasons. Optics Planet has them, and other sites. I have NEVER had to lap the rings and NEVER had any issue with this combo.

So I can see that there are quite a few posts on here concerning scope bases, but I'm still looking for some clarification. I just recently rebuilt a Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag and put a vortex viper PST 6-24x50 ffp on it. Probably more magnification than I need, but I got a screaming deal on the scope. From what I've read online it sounds like a 20 Moa base is impractical for hunting below 600 yards, but a couple threads on this forum make it sound like this might not be the case. The majority of my hunting will be inside 600 yards, but I live on a farm and have room to throw lead at a target just about as far as I want so of course I'm going to try for those 1000+ yard shots. Is putting a 20 Moa base on this gun for bench rest shooting going to make it impractical for the kind of hunting I want to do with it or not?
Put the 20 on I have the same scope.zero at 200 yds.then you will have it if you ever need it.you will have no regrets

Also vortex wants you to keep the turret just about in that right elevation so you can see the hash marks at a certain level for their cross hair spring tension.
That's according to what they told me.

I actually have 20 moa bases on all 10 rifles and a 20moa riser on a ar10 and ar15. Even down to a 223 bolt action rifle. I have one on. I have a 280 rem pump action that only shoots out to 200 yards accurately.

Now the reason for doing this is because if i change a scope with rings on it to another gun it going to be a little bit easier at zeroing the rifle. But you also have to watch out for how much elevation a scope can do.

There is nothing wrong with putting a 20moa base on that gun. You could do 30moa base and probably get away with it. That scope has around 65moa of max elevation if i remember correctly. I had one of those plus a 4-16 at one time and liked them both a lot. It never hurts having more moa on a base or scope mount as long as your scope handle that much.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.