20 MOA Rail or not....

tmwtrfwler

I'm picking up a new Nosler 280AI tomorrow and would like feedback on using a 20moa rail on it. I have an extra due to them being backordered and forgetting to cancel it.

I am using a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 with a fine duplex on it so that is somewhat limiting to real distance shooting and running calculations. I will end up upgrading down the road but for now this will have to do the trick.

I have a set of Talley lighweights laying around so I could save some money from not buying new rings and sending the rail back for return. That said, I'm not sold on the Talley's....

I'm in Virginia and the max hunting distance I'll be able to use on our farm is 600 yards with the overwhelming majority of shots being 200 yard and closer.

I don't think it's necessary for that caliber and distance. I also don't think it could hurt.

Thanks for any feedback.

Leave the rail off and use the talley lightweights. You don't need a rail for those distances and using one will have your erector off center by 20 moa to get it zeroed, it's better to have the erector closer to center in my opinion. A rail also partially blocks the ejection port, I like to have better access to it on a hunting rifle for loading and clearing jams, plus it's easier to wrap my hand around the action for carrying. A rail will also elevate your scope more than necessary with a 44 mm objective, the talleys will let you get it closer to the barrel where it should be. You're also not likely to be twisting turrets on that scope so the advantage of the 20 moa base is lost.

20 MOA bases have their place, I use them on rifles meant for 800+ yds with turrets. For the situation you describe you don't want one.

There is no reason NOT to have a 20MOA base.

You can adjust your scope height with ring height so this "A rail will also elevate your scope more than necessary with a 44 mm objective" is absolute non-sense.

A 20MAO base is going to get your zero closer to the bottom of the revolution on the turret and gives you more elevation adjustment in the case you might ever want to dial your elevation. " I will end up upgrading down the road"

Last edited:
You don't need a rail. I have a vortex HS with regular mounts and can get 750 yards before maxing out the revolution. BTW, 20 power is fine for long range.

Ah, the conundrum of should I vs Good enough. Save $XX amount today only to realize you want/need to change down the road.... Luckily the change only costs $XXX (notice the extra X?).

Honestly, I'm not picking on you at all; just relating to facts of the matter as the majority of us have been at this crossroad before. The pic rail will add some integral strength to your action; whether it's enough to make any difference... ? The rail will open a few options "down the road". When you upgrade your scope from a 44 to a 50 or 56 your Tally rings may not work, time for new rings anyway. Now you have to pay the extra "X" for the base AND a new set of rings. Where if you throw on the rail you already have (read paid for), you're only out a set of rings when you upgrade.

Do you need the pic rail right now? No, you don't at all. Will it save you some scratch down the road? You already paid for it, how can it not?

t

Agree totally.

The talleys I have from a 300 win mag that I ended up putting a 20moa tail and larue low rings on. That was required bc the zeiss conquest dl didn't have enough adjustments without it.

So I have the talleys laying around and the extra rail.

For now I'll go no rail, see what it does, and when I upgrade the scope I'll throw it on there.

Ah, the conundrum of should I vs Good enough. Save $XX amount today only to realize you want/need to change down the road.... Luckily the change only costs $XXX (notice the extra X?).

Honestly, I'm not picking on you at all; just relating to facts of the matter as the majority of us have been at this crossroad before. The pic rail will add some integral strength to your action; whether it's enough to make any difference... ? The rail will open a few options "down the road". When you upgrade your scope from a 44 to a 50 or 56 your Tally rings may not work, time for new rings anyway. Now you have to pay the extra "X" for the base AND a new set of rings. Where if you throw on the rail you already have (read paid for), you're only out a set of rings when you upgrade.

Do you need the pic rail right now? No, you don't at all. Will it save you some scratch down the road? You already paid for it, how can it not?

t

I use a 20 MOA Pic rail base on my 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator. Works great with the SWFA SS 3 - 15 x 42 scope I have. The scope has FFP, mil/mil reticle & turrets, left side focus turret and great glass.

With a cartridge like your Nosler you can use that 20 MOA to have enough vertical adjustment for shots beyond 600 yards.

Eric B.

You don't need a 20moa base with a 28 Nosler unless you are trying to shoot well past 1000yds. Out to 600yds, 0moa base. Out to 1200-1500yds a 10moa is good depending on scope and bullet. 1500yds+, you better get a 20moa base. A 10moa base is fine for me personally.

why not get a set of Talley rings that are direct fit no need for bases and according to the man I spoke to at Talley the do the 20 moa on the rings.

hydehunter, you are probably right about a 10 MOA base being enough for virtually all hunting situations. Thing is 10 MOA bases are tough to find for many rifles. I tried to get one for my RAP but could only find 20 MOA.

Eric B.

I just sent off an email to talley to see if they will do a one piece ring and base with a 10 moa, on a medium base and ring, I really don't see why they can't it may cost slightly more but it would be nice to put a 50mm scope on and not have to run high rings as I do not wish to put a cheek riser on the new stock that is going on my new rifle build.

I swap scopes all the time, so I put 20moa rails on everything. Making sight in a lot easier.

this is a really good point too.

Since I've asked this question I went with the Talley's and vortex. I've downed 3 deer with the setup all right at 200 yards. I've also upgraded the scope which arrived last Wednesday (not yet mounted it) to a Leica 2-10x50 ER5 with the ballistic mag reticle. Now if Leica would put that scope and reticle on their calculator that would be awesome. Until then I'm working with the rep on some questions about it. I think when I remount the scope I'll add the 20 moa base. in the end it can't hurt. Thanks for all the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.