20 MOA Base

hancho

I done allot of searching but have not found the answer. I am having a Savage long range hunter made in left hand for me and I should get it in about 4 weeks. It is in 6.5x284 Norma. I have narrowed it down to the Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25 or the Nightforce 5.5-22 scope. My question is do I need a base with the slant 20 MOA and if so in my mind the ballistic program I'm using would need to know that. But I see no place to enter this information. This will be mainly used as a hunting rifle for Elk but want to make the right choices so if I get into long range shooting I will have a rifle to start with. I have looked at the Nightforce, Leupold and Badger base and rings, just don't know what is best to use. The savage is a Long Range Hunter 111 I see there are two options on basses round and flat I am not sure what mine is going to have, I will be calling Savage on Monday to see. I am wanting to order the scope, rings and base soon so they will be here when I get the gun. Also if there is anyone around the Dallas TX area, I would like to pay you for a training class on setting the scope up the proper way and learning the basic tips for shooting at a distance. I know this is a sport that take years to master I am just looking to get the basics from someone.

Your ballistic program doesn't need to know what base you have the important piece to input regarding that is how high you crosshairs sit over the centerline of the bore.

+1 learning
And I cannot imagine that a 6.5x284 combined with the two scopes you're looking at would need a 20moa bias. Both of these scopes offer a bunch of adjustment, 26cal bullets are typically high in BC, and there is enough capacity in the 284 case to drive em fast.

Also, a biased base forces you to mount a scope higher for objective bell to barrel clearance. You never want to mount a scope on a HUNTING gun higher than needed, because it leads to increasing canting errors. If you go 56mm with the 5.5x22NF you'll already be higher than the 50mm, even without base bias.

Last edited:
In my experience 20moa bases don't cost anymore than 0moa bases. Might as well have it and not need it than need it and not have it right? As far as needing it.... I know I will get some flak for this but a 6.5x284 is not a suitable elk round. Especially for extended ranges. At the distance you can use that cartridge on elk, you wont need a 20moa base. If your buying a rifle for elk, and its on a 111 action, you might consider jumping up to a 300win mag or even a 338win mag.

If you are using a new Savage action, it will be a round rear. The flat backs went away then the accutrigger showed up.

A good set of rings and bases would be the Burris Xtreme bases and Burris Signature Zee's.

The rings use a polymer insert that protect the scope. The can also be had in different offsets that negate the need for a angled base.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.