20 MOA Base Help

archp625

I have a Steyr Pro Hunter in .300 WM. I have tried a two piece base (Warne) with medium rings and it did not work. The bolt handle touched the scope. I could get the highs but the scope is already so high off the barrel. So i tried some two piece DNZ rings/bases. Same outcome. Bolt handle touched scope. So i ordered a EWG 20 MOA base and its going to work minus only three of the four holes match up. Its three enough? I know the older Leupold one piece mounts only used three screws.

The problem is not many people make accessories for the Steyr Prohunter. So you have to get Browning A bolt accessories. The distance between the two aren't the same on a one piece.

I installed it last night and torqued down to 25 like they recommended. Seems super tight and good.

If I understand this right your not getting clearance when you open the bolt?
So you installed a rail, canting the scope and got enough clearance?
What scope?
What about a scope with a smaller eyepiece?
You don't want mount issues. The other option is custom rings with just enough clearance. Or get a gunsmith to mill a picatinny blank to fit your rifle.
Or go with the appropriate height of two piece rings and use a cheek piece pad

Thanks everyone for the help. I installed the base with only three screws. I talked to Talley and they swear that have one that will fit my gun as long as its the modern version, which it is. I plan on taking the other base back to Midway and purchasing the correct one. I might has well do it the right way.

x2 your scope is strange or get different rings. I have a steyr and mounted a Vortex 4-16x44 30 mm on Med rings because with the lows the bolt was interfering. Talley light weight rings.

Talley does indeed make a rail for your rifle. I've owned several Steyr PH's over the years and have ran into the same problems. For this reason I always go with a 56mm scope due to the clearance issues and I have to run highs anyway. Good luck.

Thanks RiverSink. How did you like your Steyr rifles? I talked to the guys at Talley and a base is on the way. I ordered one for a long action not realizing that I needed a mag action. My bad on that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.