20" barrel 30-06 elk bullets?

aj427ci

Ok, I've been pondering this for a while now. My wife has drawn a cow tag that she has a good chance of filling. I scouted out the area and she is going to have to be proficient at shots up to 500 yards. My question is should I go down in bullet weight to cut down in recoil for practice or go up in weight for more energy and less practice (kind of recoil sensitive). What bullet should I use granted the slower muzzle velocity from a 20" barrel?

Keep practice fun. You can always step up as her hunt gets closer.

You don't say what bullet you're using so I can't say which bullets are up for you or down. You aren't stretching far enough to get overly concerned about falling below the minimum thresh hold for expansion.

My question is should I go down in bullet weight to cut down in recoil for practice or go up in weight for more energy and less practice (kind of recoil sensitive).

Maybe it's time to think about putting a good brake on that 20" barrel if it doesn't have one already.

For bullets you can also look at the 165 gr Accubonds or the 168 TTSX's. My '06 likes the 165 Accubonds, so that is my plan for an elk load.

How about a good recoil pad? What does the gun have on it now?

Pick one you like in that range, load at the lower end of the power range now, then close to season pick it up a notch.

It's a light weight barrel, to thin for a brake. I'm bouncing between 150g or 180g

Quality of a bullet is much more important than the weight of a bullet - especially if you stay within 500 yds as a max distance. My old hunting partner shot more elk with a 130 gr bullet out of a 270 than you could fit in a box car. One of my sons shoots a 6.5 X 284 with 140 gr pills and anything inside 700 yds has not liked the results. I started a young man in the long range game a number of years a go with a .260 and 130 gr bullets. He's never switched the loads or got caught up in I need something bigger/better and after a couple dozen head of deer, elk, bear and a sheep he's about ready for a new barrel.

If the muzzle on your wife's rifle is at least .550" or more I could give you a personal experience on a '06 and a brake - been there done that and still doing it.

How about one of the external bolt on brakes?

I'd look at one of the lightest copper solids. The 150 ETips out of my .308 are not too bad. I'd be real careful on the velocity though especially from a 20" barrel. You may need to limit your range.

If your wife is recoil and I assume weight sensitive sounds like she'd be better off with a smaller caliber/cartridge. Somewhere in the .243-.260 range.

aj, loaded Berger 168 gr VLDs for a friend's dad. He insists on hunting with his 30-06 Remington 742 with 20" barrel. I was surprised on the accuracy out to 300 which is as far as I have seen him shoot it. The recoil is very manageable for the 72 year old. Good luck

We bought her a Savage 111 lady hunter. She loves the feel like the rifle and it's light weight. I would of preferred to get a 308 but this was the only one we could find and got a great deal. She shoots it just fine, but after about 8 shots she's done. I know it will only take one well placed shot to get the job done lol. I guess I'll give the 165 accubonds a try. Next year I'll swap out barrels

Slow powders and heavier bullets make a short barrel sing! I'd go with the Barnes 168TSX and 58gr H4350. It's as long as a cup n core 180 and you will still crowd 2800 form a 20" barrel. I use that bullet or the Nosler 200 PT in 30-06. I've never used the Etip or lighter 150 Barnes. heck, they may be better yet! Good luck to you though.

Last season I loaded up some imr 4350 and 165 accubonds sighted in and that's it. Today went and chronographed them at 2800fps and we shot out to 525 with good success for her never shooting past 200 yards. I'll fine tune that load and practice practice practice. Thanks for the replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.