20" 300wsm?

Build it and don't look back. You'll be just fine with 1/10 twist unless you plan on shooting real heavy monos. Stockys stocks sells the proofs in Sendero and Sendero light for $779 and if you use coupon code 10OFF you'll get 10% off. Great price. I recently built a 300WSM and 7wsm both with 22" barrels but have not had a chance to shoot them yet but got both my barrels from them. Worked out to about $730 each delivered to my door. 300WSM below top and 7mmWSM bottom.
image.jpg
60E9DEB2-A3BC-4B66-A417-6F01259AB4AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with a 20" barrel on a 300 wsm? I am considering it for a woods/midrange gun.
I used to shoot a 15.75" barrel (center-grip XP-100), chambered in 7.82 Patriot (tad bigger than a 300 WSM). Shot 180 grain GameKings at 2775 and 150 NBT's at 3001 fps. Kills elk just fine at the distances you are considering.

I'm shooting a 20 inch 7saum and getting 2850 with 180 bergers.

Had I known that adg as going to make 300wsm brass I would have considered building a 7-300wsm.

With the added bore diameter and case capacity you'll get a little more from the 300wsm.

I'd build it.

I have a 16 inch 300 wsm. I am launching the 180 gr barnes at 2950-3000 fps using rl26. Granted I'm hot rodding it at those speeds, but the brass is lasting still and it passed the rain test. Shot in a down pour on opening day and smoked a buck, no pressure issues lol.
RL26 is king
That's smokin for a 16" wsm.

I'm shooting a 20 inch 7saum and getting 2850 with 180 bergers.

Had I known that adg as going to make 300wsm brass I would have considered building a 7-300wsm.

With the added bore diameter and case capacity you'll get a little more from the 300wsm.

I'd build it.
Why not just a 7WSM as opposed to a 7-300WSM?

I have a 16 inch 300 wsm. I am launching the 180 gr barnes at 2950-3000 fps using rl26. Granted I'm hot rodding it at those speeds, but the brass is lasting still and it passed the rain test. Shot in a down pour on opening day and smoked a buck, no pressure issues lol.
RL26 is king
do u mind sharing that load?

I don't believe adg is making 7wsm brass and the 7-300 has a little more horse power.

I don't plan a build unless I can get quality brass and dies for it.
Gotcha I guess. You can't just resize ADG 300WSM to 7mmWSM? I've never done what you mention so is why I ask. Hornady does now make 7mmWSM brass and from everything I hear it's very good stuff. I've not used mine yet but just a FYI. Forster makes 7mm WSM dies. Anyways… don't want to derail the thread.

My intentions were to do a 20" barrel. I settled at 23". I do shoot suppressed and right now I'm running 155's at 3260. They are very destructive on deer. I plan to work up a load with some 180 elite hunters…if it'll carry the speed (I'll be happy at 2900) then I'll likely cut it down.

I've been very impressed with the lighter bullets thus far, Anxious to see how it does with the 180's.

I vote do it.

Gotcha I guess. You can't just resize ADG 300WSM to 7mmWSM? I've never done what you mention so is why I ask. Hornady does now make 7mmWSM brass and from everything I hear it's very good stuff. I've not used mine yet but just a FYI. Forster makes 7mm WSM dies. Anyways… don't want to derail the thread.
Adg wsm brass isn't out quite yet-- but you can fireform by resizing 300wsm down to 7wsm with a false shoulder so you can blow out the shoulder ( 7 wsm has a longer body that the 300 doez) but the 7-300 is just a neck down iirc so no fireforming

Adg wsm brass isn't out quite yet-- but you can fireform by resizing 300wsm down to 7wsm with a false shoulder so you can blow out the shoulder ( 7 wsm has a longer body that the 300 doez) but the 7-300 is just a neck down iirc so no fireforming
Outside of the brass is there a significant advantage of more case capacity doing a 7-300. Will it be faster? Just curious.