20" 300wsm?

Lrreloader

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with a 20" barrel on a 300 wsm? I am considering it for a woods/midrange gun.

Cannot comment on experience with that length barrel except to say that heavy bullets will loose less velocity with a shorter barrel. Don't listen to anyone telling you to use a faster powder because you are shooting a shorter barrel. Use the same powders that the loading books say will yield the best velocities.

I did load for a friend's 300 WSM Browning A-bolt stalker that had the BOSS. The barrel was shorter because of the BOSS but cannot swear to exact length. I am thinking it was 21" or 22". The pet load that was accurate and quite fast was 230 Berger with 61 gr of RL-17 velocity 2735 fps. OAL of case had to be short to fit and feed from the 2.8" mag box. The load flattened a cow elk at 300 yds. Should you try this load formula please work up to it as rifle performance varies.

Nothing wrong with it, I run a 22" wsm. If running 180+ gr bullets rl26 will give the best speeds. Keep an eye on for the new ADG wsm brass, and that'll likely hide enough pressure to run the same speeds as a 2-3" longer barrel.
What speed are you getting in 22"

I have a 16 inch 300 wsm. I am launching the 180 gr barnes at 2950-3000 fps using rl26. Granted I'm hot rodding it at those speeds, but the brass is lasting still and it passed the rain test. Shot in a down pour on opening day and smoked a buck, no pressure issues lol.
RL26 is king

I have a 16 inch 300 wsm. I am launching the 180 gr barnes at 2950-3000 fps using rl26. Granted I'm hot rodding it at those speeds, but the brass is lasting still and it passed the rain test. Shot in a down pour on opening day and smoked a buck, no pressure issues lol.
RL26 is king
Shooting suppressed ?

Shooting suppressed ?
NOPE! I wish, they dont allow them in my state.
1639007823793.png

Recent Posts