.20-250 with current bullet options

comfisherman

Had sworn off reloading sub 223, until last winter when I bought a 204 and then subsequently a 17 hornet. It had been about a decade since I'd had a 204 and forgot how much fun spotting shots is, but also how much little bullets move in the wind. Had the opportunity last spring to let a few fly in a .20-250 loaded with a boutique 48/49 grain pill (boutique brand I can't remember) and was impressed with what it did on a windy beach.

This spring were doing our big Squirrel safari again, and given component availability and prices it may be time to retire the 7 rum. Last retumbo I saw up here was 63$ limit 1 pound... takes the fun out of that. I'd like something that could go 4-500 yards and buck the wind, initially thought 6mm but don't currently have an unused action for a donor I'd like.

I have a donor action setup that would be a perfect fit for a 20-250, found an on the shelf barrel with suitable twist and could pull it off before March.

Question is for those that have them.

-in a 9 lbd base rifle will you be able to spot shots with the 55 bergers?
-would you build one now given bergers spotty track record of consistent 55g production. (Although it looks like I could buy enough to shoot out a barrel)
-not shy of consuming barrels but is this a 7-900 round cartridge or will I be over/under?
-2 of my last 5 customs didn't shoot the bullet they were built for, is the .20-250 worth it if the 55 doesn't work?

Any other quirks I should know about before giving it a go?

There is always black hole bullets he makes a 50 or 55g bullet in 20cal. Also I would consider 22-243ai and you can find all kinds of heavy bullets for it.

I see they have several heavies available, so wouldn't be stranded with one option.

The donor setup will finish out around 8.6 pounds without optics. With the 75+ weight 22 cal bullets in rifles that weight spotting shots is iffy. The 22 big boys are fun, I'd like to build another next year for the 90s but know from 90 grain 6mm wildcats it's hard to send them like a Lazer and watch shots with out shoulder carryable rifle weights.

If I can get 700 rounds out a barrel that's enough for load workup and duesy of a week and a winters worth of sporadic hunting. They ample time for a rebarrel to something sane like a fast twist 250 or 243 ai.

I have two 20-250's and an extra barrel. I love the cartridge for showing off on long range prairie dogs. My bench rifle is very heavy and I don't notice recoil off the bags. The lighter coyote rifle has only been fired about 30 rounds and has not seen prairie dog action. I'm thinking a light rifle is going to offer some recoil with 55's. I hold onto the bipod for control of a kicker. My rifles love the 55 Berger bullets. I also have several hundred of the Badger Bob bullets in 55, 50, 48, and 46.5 that shoot very accurately. Problem is Bob can't get jackets so he had to quit making them. Because of the light use I expect mine to last several years. I shoot 204R on dogs out to 500 yards and farther if the wind isn't terrible. I also have several 22 caliber rifles that I rarely use and a couple 6mm's that really fight windy conditions using 87 grain bullets. Good luck on your project. You will soon be hooked on long range prairie dog shooting.

Issue isn't getting hooked on it, issue is trying to find a more efficient way to do it. Kinda like going from a big block muscle car to a miata, similar thrill but more efficient. I'm coming from a string of 7 rums, a 6-284 a 270 wsm and a fast twist 300 wsm. All good on wind but with limited powder availability it's just not practical for the near future. I'll have a heavy 22-250ai but it's getting long in the throat and isn't twisted for the ultra

Are the badger Bob bullets the black hole ones or another brand? Seems like the sub caliber genre is very boutique, and sporadic at best (granted everything is these days).

So spotting shots with 55s is borderline?

I've owned all those cartridges you list over the years. 6/284 was my favorite for real long shots and before that I had a 6-06. Neither barrel lasted very long as a prairie dog shooter. Badger Bob is a patriotic gun
loving private citizen who just happens to have bullet making dies.
Shooting prairie dogs is more fun with a buddy. We take turns one shooting and one spotting. Spotting can be just as fun as pulling the trigger and gives your barrel time to cool.

6x284 is a solid choice had one about ten years for as long as it lasted. Loved it but swore I'd never build another on a short action, and still plan on doing one now that xm is a widespread thing. Donor is probably a poor choice for all the wonderful new 100g 6mm pills.

Our spring mecca is a big affair. Friend has a race trailer with a patio on top and it fits 3x benches. Lots of fun. Missed the last few years, looking forward to this spring.

My go to handgun (don't own any rifles) is my .22-250 XPR-100 Rem. I shoot 40 gr. Nosler BTs for groundhogs (in WV)/ rockchucks (in ID) out to 400+ yards. Killed over 1500 with this bullet. Also use it in my .223 Contender. Does great in it. I thought the wind in ID would mess it up, but after 4 years with it, no problems.
I've use 6mm AI, .250 Sav. AI in ID with heavier bullets, but the little 40 grainers do just as good as the larger calibers.

I've flung a lot of 40 grain nbts, 22-250s, 223s, wssms, even a few out of a 22-284. They are fun for exploding on varmints. But most of the open areas of Eastern Oregon, Washington, and Idaho have wind but it's much more predictable. Most my fox hunting now occurs mid to late winter when it's to windy to be offshore or icing. Have watched a lot of williwas come up, down and across with blowing snow. The variation compared to wind conditions in alfalfa or even rolling sage is staggering. It's work to judge wind with vegetation, a frozen beach is like guessing the wind on the moon. Velocity still needs b.c. in those situations, not an either or.

For blasting mountain and western ground varmints it's a great choice, lord knows there are thousands of 40 nbts in my totes of many bullets. In this area I'm looking for a little more wind bucking.

Are you against a 26cal? 107smk or 100btip with this 6.5creed at 10.4# as shown, but could lose a pound or more with plenty of bc to boot. Or I have a 308win at 6.25# dry. Both have very little recoil. 308 has the rds.

Attachments

• 20221201_234439.jpg
    20221201_234439.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20221201_233420.jpg
    20221201_233420.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 51
Yes, I love 6mm pills especially heavy for caliber driven fast.... except when shooting foxes for pelts. I did it once, I'd need a sweatshop of seweing machines to fix pelts.

The method this far has been get close and shoot them with a 17 hmr, but it can leave a lot of animals/shots on the table.

Big volume or colony rodents > .20P or .204R but a .20P AI or .20TAC would reduce case stretching and need for trimming & provide cheap brass. Shortages of uncommon bullets like 50 plus grain .20's can be expected. For spotting hits the .20"s are great.

A .17 HMR works great at 150 & under but $15 plus for 50 rounds is not cheap.

My choice for LR rodents is a 7.7 twist .22-.250 with 75 ELDM's with powder charges from 35 to 38 grains, like 4350's, RS Hunter, Staball, RL16, VN160, like 4350 burn rate powders. Ripping rodent pelts is of no concern.

A .22 CM would add another 100 fps or so & allow use of both LRP & SRP. Slower burning powders could also be used in addition to 4350 burn rate powder. A .22 CM re-barrel job is next.

Recent Posts