20” 30 caliber short mag, 300SAUM, WSM or Sherman Short

Hornady 10th edition manual is showing 2900 FPS out of 24" with 2.755" already for the 178 ELD-M. The .300 WSM might still be worth exploring, though.
With my design, QL shows over 3000fps with 178 ELDM using RL17 powder.

Case design is a funny thing. For highest velocity QL selects RL17, but on the 300WSM it selects RL26.

With my design, QL shows over 3000fps with 178 ELDM using RL17 powder.

Case design is a funny thing. For highest velocity QL selects RL17, but on the 300WSM it selects RL26.
Sorry, Brother, I did not know you were improving the case design - that is even better. Yes, Sir, improving the case design is funny, and so are powder choices. I am propelling the 215 out of my .300 WSM 24" at 2850 FPS with RL-17. Others are claiming near 100 FPS more with RL-26, but I am not willing to use my RL-26s for it at this time. 🤣

I have a .338 NMI (my design) Manson reamer, but still waiting for my custom barrel.

if you are looking for something simple the saum or wsm for brass availability. when you are comparing powders and velocity you need to take case capacity, powder bulk, and burn rate into account, normally cases with 92-98% case fill will yield best results. right now I am shooting a 30-6.8 western and fireforming saum brass in my chamber giving me the quality brass option. even know it has about 3-5gr less capacity than the wsm it easily matches anything the wsm can do.
there is also the 300 SAUM AI. they are doing some amazing things with it over on accurate shooter. @Alex Wheeler just did a 300 wsm and the two have the same accuracy nodes even know one burns more powder.
If you are wanting short barrel look at the lower capacity cases, there is no sense in blowing larger amounts of slower powders out the end of the barrel.
I would lean towards the 300 SAUM or the AI. it has more quality brass options.

I have a 300saum in a factory remington 700 and if I load it hot it beats the crap out of me. You need to come to Mississippi and shoot mine 7-8 times in 15-20 minutes and feel the concussion. This build better have some weight to it in my opinion if you are going to shoot it more than twice at a setting.

I've got a 23" 300wsm (sammi reamer) that I built for an axis hunt last month. I had full intentions of it being 20" but decided to start long and I'd cut it later because I was chasing speed. Well it shot so well and was so fast it's still 23" and the hunt is over now.

Anyway…I'm running 155 scenars at 3300 (after it sped up) w/ n550. I said all of that to say I think it's going to be tough to get 3k out of those heavier bullets combined with the 20" barrel. If you ai/improve it you'll likely have a better chance.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

For a 20" with those speeds you might need to use 150 - 168gr in 30cal without running at top pressure.

I have a 300saum in a factory remington 700 and if I load it hot it beats the crap out of me. You need to come to Mississippi and shoot mine 7-8 times in 15-20 minutes and feel the concussion. This build better have some weight to it in my opinion if you are going to shoot it more than twice at a setting.
This will be shot suppressed always. "Light weight" is relative. I expect it to finish out around 9# depending on the receiver and optics.

I have a 22" 300 SAUM in the Rem 7 short action. My problem was magazine length limited seating depth. I worked up a fantastic load with Nosler 180 BT, only problem the seat was 0.080 longer than the magazine. Long story cut short, I ended very happy with Hammer 165 Power Hammer using Varget. Primer is CCI BR2. Velocity is 3150.

I went with the 300WSM on an XM action 20" barrel because of ADG brass availability. Quickload has a 205 Berger at about 2700 w/ RL26. Gun is still being built. The Shermans have brass availability as well. Most of my decision was based on component access. But I'm like you. I just HAD to have a short barrel 30 cal.

What twist did you go with?

I have a 300 SAUM built on a Sako A7 action. 20 inch barrel, suppressed. It is a star performer on deer using 168 grain Nosler BT. Very easy to load for and shoots everything I feed it well. Ive used 150, 165 and 168 grain.

You won't though get the velocity you are seeking with heavies in this sort of set up without ruining cases. The SAUM case just doesn't have the capacity. You might though with the 300 WSM case.

Using R17 or N550 in my SAUM I max out safely at 3100 fps with the 168's .

I have a 300 SAUM built on a Sako A7 action. 20 inch barrel, suppressed. It is a star performer on deer using 168 grain Nosler BT. Very easy to load for and shoots everything I feed it well. Ive used 150, 165 and 168 grain.

You won't though get the velocity you are seeking with heavies in this sort of set up without ruining cases. The SAUM case just doesn't have the capacity. You might though with the 300 WSM case.

Using R17 or N550 in my SAUM I max out safely at 3100 fps with the 168's .
If you are seeing 3100 with the 168, I should easily duplicate that with an improved case and 178ELDM.