20” 28 nosler

Nice to see a positive thread on short barrels. As much as I've enjoyed reading the thousands of "ThAt CaRtRiDgE wAsN't dEsInEd FoR tHaT" and "YoU'lL lOsE eFfiCiEnCy" comments, it gets old.

Our shop built a 20" 30 Nosler on a heavily modified Rem 700 short action- suppressed.
It's pretty rowdy but performance is still pretty impressive, even with factory ammo.
Been a while since we shot it, a year or so, so I can't remember the numbers off hand, I just remember they were much higher than we expected with Nosler 180 Factory and Nosler 210 Factory.
30 nosler on a short action you say?

Nope it's a repeater.
Again, heavily modified.
Mag box was modified from short to long by cutting and welding, mag well cut is nearly to front trigger sear pin, front outer receiver bridge modified for extraction(like a Weatherby and receiver rear bridge outer modified for extended length ejection.

I used to be against muzzle brakes for a variety of reasons. I'm fine with them now. The truth of the matter is if you don't wear hearing protection while shooting ANY firearms you will suffer hearing damage. And most likely end up with significant hearing loss. I agree with doubling up at the range. Even outdoor ranges with overhangs.
Sorry.....What was that?

@laker, prepare to get beat down by a bunch of people that will tell you not to do it because they know better, and also have never done it themselves and have zero first hand knowledge.

If you want to talk to people that have done it, the specialty pistol threads will give you a good idea. Maybe @Ernie will chime in....I plan on referencing his videos anyway.

What people don't seem to understand, is yes, you know you will loose performance over a 28" barrel. Not sure why that is a main focal point, as that is rather common sense, but it is, nonetheless, a main driving point people bring up.

Also, no, other much smaller cartridges won't give you equal performance in the same length barrel. A 20" 7 saum will not rival a 20" 28 nosler. If you compare a 28" 7 rem mag to a 20" 28 nosler, ya, you will likely be similar. But the point of a 20" barrel, is so you DON'T have a 28" barrel.....

Also, faster burning powders won't "necessarily" give better results than the standard powders one would use. Talk to those that have done it, they will tell you that the same powders that get top velocity with long barrels, still get top velocity with short barrels. Also, the vast majority of powder is burned prior to 20" of barrel, even with slow burning powders, quickload even confirms this. The large muzzle blast you get is not "unburned powder", it is unused pressure expanding closer to you. All a longer barrel does, is allow the remaining pressure from the burned powder to impart more velocity on the bullet, powder is not "still burning" in the vast majority of cases.

Cases where you "might" get better performance from a faster powder, is when high muzzle pressures "may" cause some turbulence, causing variances in e.s. and possible accuracy problems. However this is not the rule. There are people running powders like rl33, retumbo, H1k, you name it, in shorter barrels getting great accuracy and teens or lower e.s., so it is not set in stone, just do load developement like any other rifle of the same chambering.

Then people will talk about the horrible, face melting muzzle blast that will instantly incapacitate grown men. Well, watch a couple videos of this kid shooting Erie bishop's 7mm Dakota...he doesn't seem to have any problems....

That is pretty much all the arguments that will come your way why not to do it, most of them are at least partially unfounded. Bottom line, no, it's not for everyone. Yes, you have more muzzle blast, certain brakes can help mitigate that while still giving good recoil reduction, but your gonna be using a can anyway, so that entire argument is now gone. Yes, they handle WAY better than a 26" rifle. Yes, you loose performance, a 20" 28 nosler will be on par with a 26" 7 mag or so, your not getting the full potential of a 28 nosler. Well, neither is a 26" barrel.....you would probably need something along the lines of a 35" barrel to get "full potential" of a cartridge like that, maybe even more, but does anyone carry one of those around? Likely no, a 28" handles better. A 26" handles even better. A 24" handles even better. A 22" handles even better. Guess what.....a 20" handles even better!!! And 7 mag performance, out of a 20" or a 30" barrel, doesn't really matter, is still capable 1000 yard hunting performance.

Sorry for the long post, but figured I would throw you a heads up.

Didn't read the other 32 responses because this one nailed it at the get go.

DO IT!!!! 😉 I built a 20 inch 300 Winchester magnum I only shoot suppressed and am slinging factory Hornady 178 eldm's @2881fps. Only 80fps less than hornadys 26 inch test barrel.
BLASPHEMY :)

It gets entertaining reading some comments from others that haven't tried the short barrel gig.

For those that have done it - We'll all sit just sit back and watch 🤣

Tired Kevin James GIF by TV Land