2 Years of Importing Hensoldt with No Warranty Returns!!

HuDisCo

<b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>
LongRangeHunters,

I wanted to take a second and brag on my supplier Carl Zeiss Optronics, GbmH in Wetzlar, Germany.

HDC has now been importing Hensoldt Scopes for just over 2 years and I am very proud to say that after hundreds of units we have still never had a scope come back for a warranty repair!

There have been less than 10 that have come back due to negligent damage! They all arrived here in working condition and we have managed to fix them all free of charge.

This is a record that cannot be matched in this industry. Even when negligent damage figures are considered, here in the US, Hensoldt's failure rate is less than one quarter of one percent! Without this consideration it is Zero.

We welcome you to put our product to the test… The truth does not fear investigation! www.HuDisCo.com

Best regards,

Nathan Hunt

I have no doubt that Hensholdts are high quality and rugged but how does one justify spending $3000+ on a riflescope? It seems to me to be a similar justification to buying a Hummer. I drive a Jeep Cherokee (with spares) for nowhere near cost of a Hummer, even a used one. Certainly the Hummer has capabilities the Jeep doesn't, but when are they needed? A Hummer would be of no advantage to me over a Jeep. It would just cost more to buy and operate.

Most of my scopes are Leupolds plus a few Japanese scopes (Bushnell, SS, Horus, etc). They are not a limiting factor in my shooting accuracy and none of those have failed mechanically or optically. Wind estimation just about always sets the limit on accuracy which is no fault of the scopes. All other parameters like range, air density, slope, and target lead can be measured and their ballistic effect calculated quickly with even a cheap socpe plus a laser rangefinder. Of all of my scopes a Horus Falcon is the best for getting on target quickly and accurately. I haven't had it long enough to know whether to trust it mechanically but so far no problems. It's also the most I've spent on a conventional riflescope, but still less than half the price of a Hensoldt.

I'd happily spend over $3000 on a scope which could accurately measure and compensate for downrange crosswinds. Without that feature no scope can significantly improve accuracy for the environment I shoot in (mountainous southern Arizona). The technology exists to optically measure downrange crosswind but i've not found any commercially available riflescopes with the capability at any price. . So why pay more for a Hensholdt, US Optics, Nightforce, or IOR than for the Horus, Leupold, or even a "SuperSniper (tm)" if it doesn't improve the major cause of inaccuracy? The only scope I've spent more than $2000 for is an AN/PVS-12 which gives decent night capability though it's still no help with wind.

Last edited:
different strokes for different folks. I've been around long enough and heard it all, i know guys who say all they need is the Walmart special, and can't justify spending more than 60$ on a scope.

just saying

no one is saying anything negative about schmidt and bender, just look at the Hensoldt and comparable schmidt and bender side by side. look at the specs. i'm not someone who spends a ton of time debating on the internet, but since you asked

optically i find the Hensoldt is better, as do most who compare the two side by side

Hensoldt have the widest field of view

Hensoldt's are shorter and lighter than a comparable Schmidt and Bender

This is just off the top of my Head, contact hensoldt, their information is in the OP's post, they can tell you more

this is my final post on this issue. both scopes are great, but if you put the two side by side Hensoldt has the edge.

no one is saying anything negative about schmidt and bender, just look at the Hensoldt and comparable schmidt and bender side by side. look at the specs. i'm not someone who spends a ton of time debating on the internet, but since you asked

optically i find the Hensoldt is better, as do most who compare the two side by side

Hensoldt have the widest field of view

Hensoldt's are shorter and lighter than a comparable Schmidt and Bender

This is just off the top of my Head, contact hensoldt, their information is in the OP's post, they can tell you more

this is my final post on this issue. both scopes are great, but if you put the two side by side Hensoldt has the edge.

When Lowlight (owner of Snipers Hide) tested the Hensholdt he felt that the shorter length did not provide optics equla to S&B. I have compared long range resolution of my 5X25X56 S&B to a Swarovski 20X60X80 spotter and the S&B takes no back seat. I find it difficault to believe that the optics in the Hensholdt are better. Smaller doesn't aid the optics,ever in any brand.

I will freely admit that Hensholdts are 1 of the very best available, but to claim them to be the absolute very is a stratch IMHO

When Lowlight (owner of Snipers Hide) tested the Hensholdt he felt that the shorter length did not provide optics equla to S&B. I have compared long range resolution of my 5X25X56 S&B to a Swarovski 20X60X80 spotter and the S&B takes no back seat. I find it difficault to believe that the optics in the Hensholdt are better. Smaller doesn't aid the optics,ever in any brand.

I will freely admit that Hensholdts are 1 of the very best available, but to claim them to be the absolute very is a stratch IMHO

JWP, Thanks for taking time out to post here. This thread really took off! I hope you don't think I am trying to condescend, but I would recommend you reread Lowlight's review or contact him directly about the comparison as the abovementioned is not exactly how it went.

That being said, you are correct in that a shorter length alone does not make for better optics. In fact, it complicates things quite a bit. This is one of the things that make Hensoldt scopes so incredible. We are able to provide an equal or superior image with regards to distortion, color, and resolution in a much more compact package and with an incredibly forgiving eyebox.

S&B does make a good scope, but it will not compare with any high quality spotting scope. Neither would our riflescopes for that matter. This is an apples to oranges comparison really... Aside from vastly different design objectives in the lens system, see Dawes Limit: (Dawes' limit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

As OS alluded to, it is not good for industry professionals to get into this vs. that specifics. S&B is respected here at HDC as a worthy and professional competitor. At trade shows and industry events we can all sit down to lunch and that is just how I like it.

I will say this: No one uses the lens composition technology we do. No one can match our reliability per the original post. No one has been doing it longer. As for your specific preferences I would invite everyone to do their own research.

Hensoldt has been fielding military optics for over 160 years...

Thanks for reading!

Nathan Hunt

I guess that we will have to agree to disagree. I compared my S&B to My Swaro spotter with both on 25 power and the S&B was simply amazing. I decided to find a better spotter and found one with a small improvement. I seriouly dought the optics in the Hendsholdt are better than S&B, I also sure that the optics are excellent. I do not have a Hensholdt but I do have a Zeiss 6X24X56 Diavra

John,

I have a Hensoldt 6-24X72, and have owned 5 of the S&B 5-25's.

While slight, I believe the Hensoldt to have superior optics.

In fact, the image has to be seen to be appreciated for what it is.

Last edited:
John,

I have a Hensoldt 6-24X72, and have owned 5 of the S&B 5-25's.

While slight, I believe the Hensoldt to have superior optics.

In fact, the image has to be seen to be appreciated for what it is.

I have no dought that the 6X24X72 has an amazing view. The 72mm objective would indicate as much. I was not refering to the 72mm objective in my posts, very difficult for a 56mm to not be bested by a 72mm

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.