2 unexpected coyotes!!

I cant call, never tried though really. Every time I try I sound like a tard so I gave it up. Whenever you're ready Im game for sending a few rounds down range at some yotes.

Thanks Guys,
25-06 I didn't want to take from your success. I would have been estatic to shoot 2 coyotes at my range any day of the year. I congratulate you. Use my poem all you want, I'll write more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not trying to be politically correct, but what do you do with a coyote or wolf after you waste one? Just curious because we dont get to shoot at alot of them down in Louisiana.

mxbubs,

Coyotes stink like no other animal I've ever seen. I really hate to skin 'em. Their fur has some value if they come from northern states and is prime but the real value in coyotes is in their availability year round as a "game animal".

In many states they can be hunted year 'round with no limit on numbers.

They can really hurt a whitetail population or livestock and most people consider them pests to be eradicated by any legal means. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I just shoot 'em and leave 'em lay. Hey... Buzzards, maggots and ants gotta eat too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

$bob$

Yah, unless there worth skinning, there just left right where they were shot. Its not like they completely rot, like the poster above said, the birds and maggots eat em. There a pest in most western states as theres an over abundance of them. Most farmers just want them shot, they dont care how, when, or why, just get rid of the **** things!! I"ve only ran across 2 farmers that didn't like you to shoot them, they were from central Oregon though, not around where I live. There reasoning was they caught ground squirrels and they wanted the squirrels dead before the coyotes becasue they dig holes and break there livestocks legs and feet, etc..I figure they had good enough reasoning.

I went out shooting yesterday with a friend to do some longer range practice on the gongs 400-800. Since my shooting spot is in the middle of sagebrush ground, theres always the chance of running into a coyote. This has happened to me before, not having a gun out and ready and we see a coyote. Well, since then I'd like to think I've got a little smarter and everytime I go shoot, I keep at least 1 of the rifles up front with me. Looks like it finaly paid off yesterday. Just as we were cresting over the hill, I spotted a yote jump out of some thick sagebrush/cover. I didn't see the other as I was locked on the one I seen first. I happned to have my .222 out with the new 55g NBT loads I worked up couple weeks ago. My coyote did the famous stop and look only to have me send one of those little 55g NBT right smack into his shoulder. He folded at the shot. Right after I shoot, I hear my buddies 30-06 blast off and see his coyote rolling. His was 198 yards on a dead run, shot with a 180g AB. We were pretty stoked. Getting 2 coyotes and not even planning on it was definately the highlight of the day. The little 55g NBT left a hellacious exit hole about 3" long and 2"wide. I think they'll work for yotes alright!!

Heres me with the 222 coyote. I took the vx3 6.5-20x50 off the 7 mag and put on the 222 so I can dial out to 400 yards or so.

3zjnhqu.jpg

Heres my buddy and his 30-06 coyote.

2hz5pqu.jpg

Keep up the good work guys the more dogs you kill the more deer you will have to choose from in a couple of years.

ahha,i know where ya shot them at,if ya goSE from there and call em in theres a bunch out there.i go dog shooting quite a bit out there.also the oregon side of butler grade between oregon and touchet just rocks

The 25 was in the case in the back of the truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif! I'm actually glad thats where it was to. I just zeroed my 25 last week at 200 yards when it was about 25-30 degrees. When I shot it yesterday about 60 degrees, it was 5-6" high at 200, so I would have shot wayyy over that yote, I would have been so ****ed. I dont get how theres that much difference in the weather to make my 25 be so far off. It had me stumped. I got her sighted back in at 200, but who knows how long that will last. My 25 has been giving me headache for the last couple months. Trying to find a good consistent load, and keeping it zeroed is starting to agitate me a bit. I dont know what the deal is, but I'm gettin sick of it. Every time I go out and shoot, my 25 isn't on. Not that it doesn't shoot decent groups, just not where there suppose to be going.
I was at a long range clinic yesterday and one of the trainers said that he was having good luck using Varget for different altitude and tempreture differences. I have not tried it myself, but If I start going back and forth from here in the Tualatin Valley to eastern OR, I will need something better than what I have been using.lightbulb

I was at a long range clinic yesterday and one of the trainers said that he was having good luck using Varget for different altitude and tempreture differences. I have not tried it myself, but If I start going back and forth from here in the Tualatin Valley to eastern OR, I will need something better than what I have been using.lightbulb

depends on what yer shooting.ya dont need the biggest baddest magnum.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.