2 thumbs up for the App called Shooter

Wachsmann

Yesterday I was out the west desert of Utah doing a little shooting practice. I had my trusty Savage 116 6.5X284 Norma. I was trying to range a rock on the hill side but was exceeding the limits of my range finder. Had to come back some and finally started getting some range at 925 on a few rocks and trees. So I figured the rock that I wanted to shoot was about 950ish or so. I took a few shots increasing my elevation and checking on my shooter program. Rock figured out to be right between 950 and 955yards. Let me first say I had all the needed things to do this with. I had load velocity and I was checking as I shot each time. I had a wind /temp/baro meter as well. Cant think of the brand off the top of my head but its really works well. Comes highly recommended on this sight. Anyways I made the first shot and the bullet landed right at the bottom of the rock. I clicked up twice and the second was close to the top. Now this is why I give it 2 thumbs up. I changed to some other practice ammo that I had loaded well over a year ago with some different powder. It was 4831SC which runs a little slower than the first load. I dialed back to 100 yards and took 3 shots through the chrono to check velocity and how high my 100 yard zero is. With the 4831sc load I was 2 inches high at 100yds. The first load I was 3 inches. So I edit the program data for the new load and went back up to the rock at 950. Dope had change by a whole MOA if I remember correctly. Was not thinking I would have a first shot hit but got steady and a good squeeze. WOW I was suprized how close the shots were. I also made the extra 2 click adjust and I was close back to the upper part of the rock with my second shot. I think the rock was probably just over MOA for height and probablly 1.5 MOA long. Really love making shots like that and when every thing comes together. Also I will admit I was shooting off my portable work bench (home depot). Makes a ok gun table bench for shooting. Gun setup is a savage 116 6.5x284 Norma with a 4.5x14 Zeiss conquest scope. It's the older model scope. I had the work done/upgraded so the turret can be changed out. But anyways I'm liking the shooter program a lot. Also made some more hits closer in before the sun went down. Also the 950 hits were made with zero wind. It was very calm yesterday from 4:30ish till dark.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.