2 Stage Triggers

The hact trigger on factory vanguards is a 2 stage. To be honest with you, I don't even notice it anymore, especially when hunting. I have some 2 stage triggers in my AR varmint rifles too, and when I get a coyote in range and start my trigger squeeze, it doesn't even register.

I prefer a single stage but haven't shot a nice two stage to have a true comparison. I have only handled and dry fired rifles with two stage triggers. I've shot thousands of rounds from old military rifles with two stage triggers, but those are way different and not in the same ballpark as a modern precision two stage trigger. Part of me thinks I would actually like it for hunting and shooting, but I just really like the crisp single stage triggers I've grown use too.

I think most importantly, a trigger needs to be predictable. I prefer a two stage trigger but as long as I know the rifle is about to go off and I can execute a deliberate shot, I can be accurate. My competition rifles have two stage triggers and my hunting rifles have factory single stage triggers but if I were building a rifle it'd probably have a two stage.

I have no preference on single or 2 stage, but I do like a trigger to have zero creep and zero backlash. The best trigger designs for this are the 3 pivot design, these are the smoothest, and therefore crispest let off…it just breaks at a consistent rate shot after shot. They also feel lighter than the actual poundage required because of the mechanical advantage the 3 pivot utilises.

Cheers.

It's subjective.
My favorite trigger so far was an Anschutz 5018(2-stage) I had in a Tubb T2K.
Unfortunately, we can't just have any trigger we want in any gun.
So the best I have otherwise is Jewel and Bix & Andy (single-stage).

Given no creep(good trigger), I like a bit longer travel before and after break, preferably at ~2-8oz pull.
A good 2-stage does this very well.
If I don't have enough pull length, with my preferred light pull, I end up jabbing at the trigger instead of squeezing.

I prefer single stage. I have jewel, timney, and trigger tech single stage triggers and two stage geisselle on my long range AR. The more I shoot my single stage the more I'm disliking my two stage. I have used the AR hunting. I've killed a hog, 3 deer, bobcat, and a fox with it. It's a capable hunting rifle. Just don't like it as much. When I pull the trigger I want it to surprise me. I don't want to think about it. I have about 2,500 rounds through the AR from hunting, shooting, and competitions. So I'm comfortable with it, but still a nice single stage is so much better to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use both for hunting and competition with good results as long as there is no creep in the break(or second stage), and some degree of over-travel. Given a choice, I prefer a two stage, in particular, my Huber Concepts. IMO, they are safer to handle with light triggers, and center focus for me during the first stage take-up, particularly when light triggers are used in "fast"competition (ie. PRS), and hunting conditions.

The way I had my Anschutz 5018 setup, there was no perceivable wall.
It was actually a collapse at the 2nd stage, with a sear break somewhere inside that.
Just a light squeeze while holding aim. Somewhere in travel the trigger did it's job with no feedback to my awareness.
Kind of an electronic feel.
With that gun, I was truly free of trigger pull attention.

Switching back and forth between the two jacks me up! :) I have a collection of sub three pound triggers on my rifles and AR's

For a total bench rest gun I like the two stage because you are thinking about each shot. hunting and semi-auto I like single stage

Circling back to my post, and as what was already mentioned. It's shooters choice. I would get a lot of trigger time behind both styles and see what you like better.

I have a strong preference for 2-stage but unfortunately I can't find on for my SAKO 85.

Recent Posts