2 shots touching with one flyer possible answer

If it's feeding from the magazine that is the cause, could be deforming bullet tip slightly. I don't see a little slop in magazine causing misalignment to bolt being the total cause of the flyer, unless something is happening to the bullet on the way into chamber.
I might try loading the mag and rounds like normal but instead of firing them I will eject then unfired and check the cbto and coal. I have not thought of this but I can buy this more than my mag pressure theory!! Thank you for the reply and a place to go with this

Last edited:
In cartridges with a fair amount of recoil, I've seen it in 30-06, the cartridges in the magazine can be driven into the front of the magazine during recoil. This can cause deformation of the exposed bullet tip or in some cases drive the bullets back into the case which will play havoc with accuracy.
Thank you

IMO it is just statistical probability and shooter perception. With any three shots. the probability is that two will be closer to each other, rather than all three an equal distance. It even happens with a 3 shot group in the .1 MOA range. If you look closely, 2 bullets maybe in the same hole with a 3rd kinda overlapping a bit. Would you call that a flyer?

In cartridges with a fair amount of recoil, I've seen it in 30-06, the cartridges in the magazine can be driven into the front of the magazine during recoil. This can cause deformation of the exposed bullet tip or in some cases drive the bullets back into the case which will play havoc with accuracy.
This entire thread is very interesting to me. I had a (used) Remington semiautomatic .30-06 which always shot 2 rounds near-perfect, even almost in the same hole, then a third one would often be an 8" off-center flyer, (often hitting sideways). I tried all manner of reloads as well as factory ammo - no difference. After wasting a fair amount of ammo I got rid of the rifle. No amount of cleaning or cooling techniques seemed to make any difference. I know the ammo didn't! Thanks for your post.

Over the 40 years of shooting, I have had my fare shares of rifles that have had the flyer problems. I have experienced that 75% of them would correct this problem by going to flat base bullets mainly Hornady. For some unknown reason, i have found some rifles just do not like boat tail or long ojive bullets. Try going back to cup@core flat base Nosler or Hornady bullets and see if you get the same problrm. Chances are good that it will straighten out. If not get your chamber and throat checked. Good luck!
I have heard a few folks who've said they believed boat tails shot better from muzzles with perpendicular crowns(unchamfered crown). I have a few like that and I don't have flyers with boat tails in those.

IMO it is just statistical probability and shooter perception. With any three shots. the probability is that two will be closer to each other, rather than all three an equal distance. It even happens with a 3 shot group in the .1 MOA range. If you look closely, 2 bullets maybe in the same hole with a 3rd kinda overlapping a bit. Would you call that a flyer?
Negative, I'd call that normal shooting. I'd have to post some pics of the consistency to help with what I see. A flyer to some is definitely different for others, if I shoot one round at a time I can cover the 3-5 shots with a dime pretty reliably at 100. If I were to do the same with the mag loaded that opens up to 1" give or take consistently. To me that is a flyer when you go from same hole to 3/4" another direction. Definitely not complaining about a 1" group out of a factory gun, just posting an observation of what I have found with this particular one. Thanks for the reply

On savages the front base screw can bottom out on the barrel and you think it's tight but it's actually not. I've had this happen before and pretty much had the same symptoms that you're experiencing.
I have not looked at this yet either and I will definitely give it a try. I have torqued and retorqued everything so many times but I have never removed a base and put in one bolt at a time to see if it actually tightens the base or not! Good info, thanks for the reply and I will post after I give it a go. Hoping for a range day tomorrow to post some pics and I will give this a try and update as well, thanks!!

I have always assumed that if a mag full of tight stacked cartridges is pushing up on the bolt, then if the mag is empty and not pushing on the bolt that it could definitely produce different results.