2 scope choices

CBH Australia

G'day
I'm torn between 2 scope options. I have mounts.

I built a lightweight .280ai with a C/F wrapped barrel and C/F stock on a Tikka action. This was planned to be a versatile carry rifle in a chambering that I researched and settled on.

You might consider it a mountain rifle or a sheep rifle but I'm not using that way for now but I want to hunt with it.anyway.

So I have a Leupold that was an impulse buy that I have not mounted. Still new in box

It's a Vx3i 3.5-10x40 cds . It might get $800 Aussie or I can use it.

I would really like a Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50, because I think it's versatile and barely heavier. But retails around $1800 Aussie dollars, but I would really like it.

Even if I could trade up for $1000, is it worth it?

It's nice, I'm looking for a reason to justify the money.

You get the occassional bad review on Swarovski, that worries me.

Maybe, some patriotic American members might convince me to mount the Leupold and use it or keep it anyway.

Your thoughts please. This is an LR thread but is a 3.5-10 enough to say 5-600 used correctly?

It's not a dedicated LR rig but may be used that way some day.

G'day

I built a lightweight .280ai with a C/F wrapped barrel and C/F stock on a Tikka action. This was planned to be a versatile carry rifle in a chambering that I researched and settled on.

You might consider it a mountain rifle or a sheep rifle but I'm not using that way for now but I want to hunt with it.anyway.

So I have a Leupold that was an impulse buy that I have not mounted. Still new in box

I would really like a Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50, because I think it's versatile and barely heavier. But retails around $1800 Aussie dollars, but I would really like it.

Maybe, some patriotic American members might convince me to mount the Leupold and use it or keep it anyway.

Your thoughts please. This is an LR thread but is a 3.5-10 enough to say 5-600 used correctly?

This boils down to personal preference. "I" personally go with what you already have (cost avoidance); perhaps have a customized turret for it too ... but that's just me. This is not going to be your last to be faced with the same situation. Good luck!

Ed

That is a hard choice. I would really go through it piece by piece….turrets, glass, magnification, etc…which is best for you?

Then I would ask how else I could spend that $1000 to meet my shooting goals. Sometimes a scope is holding you back, but often times it is not.

G'day

Reason to justify? BECAUSE YOU CAN! 😄

VX 5 3-15 with 44mm bel is the best light weight hunting scope i have used. i have it on my 280AI and love it. Glass is better than VX 3, and close to Swaro. I personally don't care for Swaro scopes but I haven't used there newer models. The scopes don't seem to have the same clarity as their bino's ( I love their bino's). I don't feel Swaro scopes are worth the price tag so I use Leopold's exclusively now.

G'day.
I would not hesitate. A mate has a few Swavos in Z 3,5 & 6.
His favorite is the Z5 On a 300 PRC, reckons it is better than the Z6 on the 300 RUM. FOV I think.
All have superb glass and tracking is perfect. Custom turrets work well.
You can't go wrong. Pay once, cry once.

All good points and why I am undecided.

The 2 scopes I listed are pretty light, lightweightrifle light scope.

I like the range of 2.4-22 of the Swaro. And the glass The 50mm objective aids low light

For me I could have gone the 22" barrel to save weight but went for the 26' because I wanted to be sure I took full advantage for velocity. Maybe it's not so important potentially I'm getting 200fps over the shorter barrel.

Just trying to be the most versatile but being practical I then think I already have the Leupold.

Just noticed my old thread and a typo above. 2.4-22 oops.

Anyway since Y'all are mostly American o did do with the stick with what I have suggestion.

The scope is light enough and bright enough for most things. But since we can spotlight or hunt on dark I do like a bright scope.

I mounted the scope and shot some nice groups so that's settled.

I went away with a mate and took a handful of Fallow dear on private land. We were happy to take meat as we were not after a trophy unless something exceptional stood out.

Rifle, loads and scope were all reliable and performed well.

I'm liking what @Plinker147 was saying he loves their Binos.

Just a thought I might look into Swarovski Binos so I have something Swarovski in my kit and because I would like some nice Binos for hunting etc.