2 rounds touching 3rd one 1 away everytime what to do?

toddconley

I am tring to do load development for a 300 win. Had planned to shoot the bigger bullets with it. Ladder test narrowed it down to 74.5 gr of rl 22. Legth is not touching or anywhere near the lands with the 208 amaxes but 190 smks are seated snug in the lands. This thing is absolutly crazy. It will shoot the 1st two almost touching with the 208s and touching with the 190 smks and then throw the next one. Everytime? I thought it could have been mechanical. Checked everything and it is all tight. Traded scopes still the same deal. The barrel is a Rock 5r but is very light. Could it be heating after the 2nd shot? Tomorrow I am going to shoot two then let it get stone cold then come back and shoot two again and see what happens. What are your thoughts?

same thing happened to a friends 300wm. turns out his barrell wasnt floated enough. 1st two shots right on, but then 3rd was way off because barrell got hot and touched the stock.

He filed down the stock a little more to fit a business card all the way down, problem solved, all holes touching.

Mike.

I am tring to do load development for a 300 win. Had planned to shoot the bigger bullets with it. Ladder test narrowed it down to 74.5 gr of rl 22. Legth is not touching or anywhere near the lands with the 208 amaxes but 190 smks are seated snug in the lands. This thing is absolutly crazy. It will shoot the 1st two almost touching with the 208s and touching with the 190 smks and then throw the next one. Everytime? I thought it could have been mechanical. Checked everything and it is all tight. Traded scopes still the same deal. The barrel is a Rock 5r but is very light. Could it be heating after the 2nd shot? Tomorrow I am going to shoot two then let it get stone cold then come back and shoot two again and see what happens. What are your thoughts?

Light barrels are notorious for this. It could be the barrel is warming up and buy the third shot
it begins to move around. The barrel does not have to get Hot to the touch just warm.

Try letting it cool off between shots and see if you can eliminate the flyer shots.

If it is for hunting even though you want 5 in the same hole 2 should be enough.

J E CUSTOM

Not to contradict the advice above, but there can be other causes for this too.

Where's the third bullet? If it's at 2 o'clock or 8 o'clock to the group, your stock may be a little too short, which interferes with a consistent grip. Check your LOP, it's free and often effective.

Light barrels are notorious for this. It could be the barrel is warming up and buy the third shot
it begins to move around. The barrel does not have to get Hot to the touch just warm.

Try letting it cool off between shots and see if you can eliminate the flyer shots.

If it is for hunting even though you want 5 in the same hole 2 should be enough.

J E CUSTOM

10-4. Thin barrels will typically open groups as they heat up. Mine start to spread by the 4th shot. If your barrel is a thin tube, it could be spreading by the 3rd shot. Let it cool and please let us know the results?

I was also thinking seating depth? If you haven't played with it yet, definately do.

Had a hel of a time getting a guys sendero 25-06 to shoot with 115g nbt's and retumbo just recently. It would do 2 in and 1 out everytime with just about any charge. I finally made up a batch of loads with about 7 different lengths in .015" increments and finally found a decent sweet spot about .090" off the lands. Gave me a 3 shot .3" group. Duplicated it the next time out and sighted it in for the guy, good to go. This is one of the very few rifles that I've worked with that didnt like to be seated out close to the lands. I could tell it wanted to shoot by putting 2 touching or within 1/2", but it would fling the 3rd one 3/4"-1" everytime. I decided that the seating depth was the culprit and that needed to be addressed moreso then powder charge.

Thin barrels also have a reputation for doing this. Try waiting longer inbetween shots say 3-5 minutes. For a hunting rifle, its better to have the first 2 be good and to fling the 3rd, then to have your 1st CB shot be way off, and your next 2 be on, if that makes sense. However its always better to have all 3 go where you want them to!

I have a Rem 300 wm 5R 24" and just started working up loads with the exact same results your getting (I'm using Sierra 180 spbt) I started .010 off the lands since that's as long as my magazine will fit. I've been to the range twice and couldn't get anything better than a 5/8" 3 shot group at 100. The closer I got to 3100 fps the more my rifle liked it, but still getting fliers. So I went back to the bench and started checking bullet runout.... .005 to .007 runout, terrible. I was worried about this since my seating depth was very minimal with this light of boat tail bullet. I've got some reloads ready to go with seating depth increased .005 out to .030 off the lands. Checked runout and it's back down to .002 or .003 on anything over .020 off the lands. I'll let you know how it works. I'm planning on jumping up to 200 gr spbt as soon as they show up, so I'll be interested to see if I can get the groups with a longer bullet seated closer to the lands. Keep us posted on your results as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.