2 rifles and one scope?

RangerBrad

Hey fellas, I was wondering if I can use the same scope on 2 diffrent rifles. I'm considering either the Huskemaw or g7 scope and running it on my 25-06 this fall on mule deer then purchasing and moving it to a 300wsm next year. I feel it would be much cheaper and I will only be running one long range rifle at a time then could switch back and fourth as needed. Is it possible to trade out turrets between the 2 rifles without screwing up the whole works? Thank's, Brad

I don't have personal experience with either scope however because the G7 is made by Nightforce that would be my pick. You can have turrets made for both rifles you just need the detailed ballistics for each. Average temp and elevation that you would be shooting in is also important. If you do choose to go the one scope two rifle route it sounds like alot of time is going to be spent switching the scope frome rifle to rifle then switching turrets then rezeroing.

I have no issue at all switching scopes between my rifles using picatinny rails.

Bolt it on.

Bore sight if you like. But, mine always seem to be on paper at 100yds with the first shot.

Adjust the turrets and the second shot is dead on.

If you're using custom BDC turrets for each rifle, then you have an extra step or two.

It's not something you'll want to do in the field, but it is workable with quality optics.

And, if you use 20 MOA slope, then you'll want the same on all rifles.

-- richard

I used to do it on my Encore rifle with the rifle bbl and muzzleloader bbl. I used leupold quick detach bases and wrote down the adjustments from one to the other. I was using a Nikon Monarch and would just swap the scope dial the adjustments and shoot a test shot. The encore wasnt what i would call a tack drive but it was always dead on every time i switched.

Thank's fellas, Just the info I was looking for. If this is the case maybe I could put a NF ballistic or velocity reticle scope built to 600 yds on my 25-06 now and go with the G7 on the 300wsm next year.
How accurate are the ballistic and velocity reticle scopes? I just don't see them being very accurate without being built for a specific bullet rifle combo tested at the range. What say yal? Brad

I am thinking of using my Vortex PST 6-24x50mm MOA FFP scope with the custom turret for my 6mm Norma BR. Then swapping the scope to my 30-06 since the trajectory of both are close enough for deer hunting out to 400 yds. All I need now is another Picatinny rail for the -06 and I can use the same rings. I'll have to test it at the range to make sure it will work first though.

joseph

I swap scopes around all the time on my rifles. Use a good rail mount ie. A Badger on each rifle and it will work well. I am not a fan of all the turrets set for a specific loads. Some really like them but for me just give me 1/4 moa turrets and I will take care of the adjustments from there.

I swap scopes around all the time on my rifles. Use a good rail mount ie. A Badger on each rifle and it will work well. I am not a fan of all the turrets set for a specific loads. Some really like them but for me just give me 1/4 moa turrets and I will take care of the adjustments from there.
I'm thinking the same way. I mess with loads too much to have a "set" load, plus the elevation changes and things you go through from hunt to hunt, maybe it would be OK out to a certain distance. I haven't researched it all that much, but the accuracy of the system seems limited.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.