2 moose over 900 yards

GG,

I hear that Sierra is extending the jacket on the 300 SMK but leaving about a 1/2" at the base completly empty. The idea is for you to stuff it with salt so the meat won't spoil by the time you can get to it.;)

What I'm intrigued about it that particular point of impact. As you stated the bullet performed exceptionally well. But what about bone damage etc? Plus I flat don't understand what smacking the shoulder blade does? It seems that that bullet at that distance with that POI does what a 270 Win w/130gr Sierras does to a deer under about 200 yds. That is ruins the quarter. Its almost incomprehensible to get that kind of destruction on a moose at such a distance.

If these are dumb questions. So be it. I just don't catch on:rolleyes:

GG and UncleB
The Thunder has more pictures of itself than any other rifle I know especially with kills. UB How much are the dvd? lol Now you 2 head south and round up a sheep. You know I was pretty close with horses. Great story thoroughly enjoyed it even my wife check it out. She wondered where uncleB is. IP

GG,

I hear that Sierra is extending the jacket on the 300 SMK but leaving about a 1/2" at the base completly empty. The idea is for you to stuff it with salt so the meat won't spoil by the time you can get to it.;)

What I'm intrigued about it that particular point of impact. As you stated the bullet performed exceptionally well. But what about bone damage etc? Plus I flat don't understand what smacking the shoulder blade does? It seems that that bullet at that distance with that POI does what a 270 Win w/130gr Sierras does to a deer under about 200 yds. That is ruins the quarter. Its almost incomprehensible to get that kind of destruction on a moose at such a distance.

If these are dumb questions. So be it. I just don't catch on:rolleyes:

Bone damage was spectacular. There is just no other word for it. As you can see, the bullet struck mid shoulder and slightly forward. This got the bullet opening up and sent pieces of jacket all over into the shoulder and the front of the chest cavity. It then proceeded into the lungs and then broke two ribs on the far side. Yes, it is similair to shooting another gun at an animal at point blank range. The damage was incredible. And you're right about the front quarter. It was mostly ruined. Bloodshot red jello all throughout the meat and fat membranes. The thing that really is stunning is looking at the full, unshot bullet next to the recovered bullet. It has reduced itself and pushed the material back to less than half the original length. You know that would take some serious forces.

Last edited:
GG and UncleB
The Thunder has more pictures of itself than any other rifle I know especially with kills. UB How much are the dvd? lol Now you 2 head south and round up a sheep. You know I was pretty close with horses. Great story thoroughly enjoyed it even my wife check it out. She wondered where uncleB is. IP

We thought about calling you to see if you wanted to excersize your horses a bit but we figured you were probably out of town.

Uncle B is somewhat camera shy as you know. Our new friend did snap a pic of me and B right after the kills but B wasn't looking too excited in the photo.

Goodgrouper,

It had to be a pain to carry that rifle all the way to the moose. Wasn't it? :)

4l3yf77.jpg

Last edited:
Goodgrouper,

It had to be a pain to carry that rifle all the way to the moose. Wasn't it? :)

4l3yf77.jpg
Eaglet,
If I had not taken this picture and hiked for a few hours with a gunless goodgrouper ,I could believe what I was seeing. it is a good thing you are a deeply religious person or you could make $100 bills all day long and get away with it. nice work
UB

Uncle B,
Thanks. LOL, it wasn't easy to take it from the other guy's hands, he really had a pretty good hold of it! :D :)

Eaglet
The next time I go hunting could you do your magic and put a 7x7 bull elk on the hillside? Thanks in advance and how much does it cost. IP

:D It all depends on how big you want him to be!:D :)

One was answered for me a few year back. "Please a shootable bull @ 120 yds broadside in this CRP grass, please?

Not 10 minutes later here comes a herd @ 120 yds in the CRP grass. I forgot to ask for a standing shot. It was beautiful picture in the scope. The spike elk filled the scope and was skylined. Man they must been haulin'. I get the second shot off pretty quick. The herd ran well over 100yds by the time of the second shot.

Moral of story: When you ask, be specific being careful to not ask for more than you're ready for.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.