2 Mile Range Finder?

I also might add that I wouldn't take a hunting shot out past 500 to 800 yds. depending on which rifle I'm hunting with (maybe a 1000 with my 300 WM but that would depend on the wind). Not that I can't make the shot but the muzzle energy at that distance may not be enough to drop big game. It's not fun wounding it and chasing it all over the place. Shoot to kill and drop it in its tracks. Be a responsible hunter!
I'm also a sponsored LRP competitor. My personal opinion is that the rangefinders that boast ranging out to 2+ miles (the Razor HD 4000 claims to range to 6000 yds.) is a joke. You need to mount it on a tri-pod to get an accurate and steady reading to range anything out past 1200 yds. Sure you can ping steel plates out that far but not game and who's going to take a shot at game a mile+ out. Animals absorb the laser instead of reflecting it back in most cases past 800 yds. at least that's been my experience ranging big game with my Vortex Razor HD 4000. Hope that helps a bit!

Good idealism Ghost I would say you and I are about the same as a distance shooting a flat shooting laser of a rifle on a animal, I shoot to much and knowing my rifle and capabilities as a shooter my confidence with a hunting gun is 700 yards with confidence in my abilities in wind to stay in a 12" kill zone. This is on any given day with all sorts of sh-t winds not those perfect conditions. If I had my ELR rifle yes then the zone heads way out there but your talking a 416 that is super sonic to 3700 yards - thats a ELR steel shooter and a different animal.

The only way I run the PLRF 15 or Vortex Razor as mentioned before is a rock solid and prone laying on the ground with the Laser and part of myself resting on my shooting duffel sized ammo gear bag. You need to eliminate any wiggles as you mentioned being a huge challenge, and with all the lasers I have worked with, some deal with dark targets ok and a lot of them suck at it.

Good info GhostRyder

JH

I have talked to Onx app to see if you can use their app as a rangefinder for long distance. I have tried it here on my ranch and it worked. I got a range but I have no way of verifying it except by using a GPS which requires you to be at both ends at some point. If you are setting targets then get a waypoint and get a waypoint at the firing line. Now you have a distance.

I have a Vectronix Vector 4 . I can hit 3000-3500 yards free handed with it. My best reading is of the hood of my Tacoma. It was 5521 yards. It is says it will hit 6k or 6560 yards . I do not doubt that is possible on a tripod . I have evern hit 5017 yard = elbows propped up on shooting house. Hitting side of a mountain

The Trijicon Ventus will go out to 5K yards; it uses four 1580nm lasers, which if you think about it, is ingenious because it largely gets around the problem of beam divergence (the four beams will overlap in the center and return four times the energy). It is designed to measure wind using LIDAR technology. Due out the second half of the year. 10K.

The old Terrapins still remain the prince, but in bright sunlight over water they're the pauper. Under the latter conditions I've never been able to range either of my mile targets (22" diameter 1/4" steel oil-vent covers). Yet when the sun says bye-bye I've ranged out to 4924 on reflective large targets. See attached example of 4719 Y.

And when I feel real sporty, reckless, and daring I've got LRFs that pick up targets I can't even see with a 60x spotter. While they're fun to use they ain't for carrying and don't even think of using these without a tripod. The sun doesn't seem to affect these either as the display side is isolated from the viewing side. They're also in meters only, but when you need to know, I mean really need to know, these dudes deliver. Don't know why a little more work and development wasn't expended; they might be able to see the future! See attached.

I assume that is a YAG laser giving you 20K?

Is there anybody in Northwestern Montana with a rangefinder that can hit 2 miles ??
Please P.M me if you dont mind . I have either a Cold Case or a Half Gallon for you if you could just ping a distance for me !! I'm ready to try to hit 2 miles on steel !
Thanks in advance!

Rum Man

Is there anybody in Northwestern Montana with a rangefinder that can hit 2 miles ??
Please P.M me if you dont mind . I have either a Cold Case or a Half Gallon for you if you could just ping a distance for me !! I'm ready to try to hit 2 miles on steel !
Thanks in advance!

Rum Man

Pay for my gas and meals (I live about 20 miles west of Helena) and I'll try my Sig Kilo 3000 BDX.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.