2 Mile Range Finder?

My Vortex Fury 5000 will hit two miles easily, but I'm not sure what the minimum target size is, as I've only tested it on houses/barns/cliffs while hand held at those distances. It will happily range a 16" plate at 1000 yds hand held, so maybe you'd need a 56" plate at 3520 yd?

I think the 5000 in the name is false advertising though, as the longest I've gotten was only 4980...;)

I have the sig kilo 3000 binos and have offhand ranged well water power units at 2279yds recently after I acquired them. And have ranged tree lines beyond 2000 as well.

Being a poor old survey crewman, I'd use a theodolite (or an engineer's transit), a couple of 2"x2" wood stakes, a pair of steel tacks for the stakes, an optical plummet, a tripod, and a steel tape to measure a triangle's base. Investment on ebay would be less than $500 unless you wanted a total (global) station. The math (trig) formulas are printed on the back of every surveyors field notebook. Measure the 2 angles at the ends of the base, dig out ... a calculator, and in a matter of seconds you have an accurate distance AND c@ $9500 left in your pocket. And a pretty little transit or theodolite for the mantel. The newer stuff would take your locations from satelite data, precise to sub-centimeter. If you're ranging on an elk. Come back next fall and shoot him if he's in the same spot.
If I'm in a hurry, I have several old military coincidence rangefinders.
Might have to walk a ways, but I could plot a course and figure it out. Just need the target to hold still for a while.

Last edited:
That's not right at all! I'm always a little nervous about what will happen if mine ever needs repairs. For pure ranging ability though, it's hard to beat. Although I just can't seem to break the 4950 yard mark with it. LOL
iKdEDdn.jpg
NICE,rub it in.....LOLTwo thumbs up...

For $10,000 , I'm happy to walk a line to the target and make a pile of rocks every 800 yards. For that money, I'd even paint them white.
You have to remember what the terrain looks like between you and your target 2 miles away. You might be carrying that paint 10 miles up and down before you reach a place to stack and paint your rocks 2 miles across a canyon.

The old Terrapins still remain the prince, but in bright sunlight over water they're the pauper. Under the latter conditions I've never been able to range either of my mile targets (22" diameter 1/4" steel oil-vent covers). Yet when the sun says bye-bye I've ranged out to 4924 on reflective large targets. See attached example of 4719 Y.

And when I feel real sporty, reckless, and daring I've got LRFs that pick up targets I can't even see with a 60x spotter. While they're fun to use they ain't for carrying and don't even think of using these without a tripod. The sun doesn't seem to affect these either as the display side is isolated from the viewing side. They're also in meters only, but when you need to know, I mean really need to know, these dudes deliver. Don't know why a little more work and development wasn't expended; they might be able to see the future! See attached.

Attachments

• NorigTER02.jpg
    NorigTER02.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 41
  • METERS15 to 08092019.jpg
    METERS15 to 08092019.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 42
Find a WW 2 Barr&Stroud in good shape, or a more recent Wild, which is essentially the same, and you will get and accurate range regardless of condiions so long as the target is visible.
And yes they can still be found in good to excellent condition for about $500.
Certainly for a hunter, the Lazers are preferable due to size, but for simply extreme distance shooting, they are for sure an option worth considering.
Even for hunting, my Wild is always in my vehicle, and there have been numerous occasions when it was called upon when conditions were such that the lazers were sulky about working that day.

The old Terrapins still remain the prince, but in bright sunlight over water they're the pauper. Under the latter conditions I've never been able to range either of my mile targets (22" diameter 1/4" steel oil-vent covers). Yet when the sun says bye-bye I've ranged out to 4924 on reflective large targets. See attached example of 4719 Y.

And when I feel real sporty, reckless, and daring I've got LRFs that pick up targets I can't even see with a 60x spotter. While they're fun to use they ain't for carrying and don't even think of using these without a tripod. The sun doesn't seem to affect these either as the display side is isolated from the viewing side. They're also in meters only, but when you need to know, I mean really need to know, these dudes deliver. Don't know why a little more work and development wasn't expended; they might be able to see the future! See attached.
Boy, does that look familiar. I have floaters in my eyeballs that look similar from hundreds of hours looking through the dang thing!

Boy, does that look familiar. I have floaters in my eyeballs that look similar from hundreds of hours looking through the dang thing!
The through-the-lens photographs were taken using an iPhone 6s+ as you and I--and no doubt thousands of others--know the glass on the Terrapins is right up there with the best. The big job's glass is superior to that believe it or not; it's the equal of, if not superior to my 5-25x56 Premier Heritage scope! The first photo was taken late in the Spring day (I think March); the other mid-day in deep summer haze. Still, although the photos aren't really equal, the difference in glass is apparent, at least to me.

Is there such a thing?
We were testing the Razor 4000 abilities against the high end units that we depend on, as well as using it for inclination readings with double tapping the targets twice for consistency. It was interesting as we got farther out the error in which was a few yards only narrowed or improved as we got farther out. I believe the Applied Ballistics crew was testing it against their equipment as well.

The key with any of the LRF units at distance is getting the unit rock solid when pinging and always double checking for good numbers.

Iamosoh
JH

Reliable?
My Razor HD 4000 hasn't let me down yet out to 1300 yds. The hardest part is getting something that far out to reflect back the image to the rangefinder no matter who makes it.

Attachments

• 6.5 Creedmoor 1300 yd target.pdf
    445.1 KB · Views: 47
The through-the-lens photographs were taken using an iPhone 6s+ as you and I--and no doubt thousands of others--know the glass on the Terrapins is right up there with the best. The big job's glass is superior to that believe it or not; it's the equal of, if not superior to my 5-25x56 Premier Heritage scope! The first photo was taken late in the Spring day (I think March); the other mid-day in deep summer haze. Still, although the photos aren't really equal, the difference in glass is apparent, at least to me.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. The glass in the Terrapins is superb. When you have to spend hours looking through glass to read windage, etc. at a target over 3500 yards it requires great glass, not good. Also a good bottle of eyedrops to relieve the burn in your eyes!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.