2 Elk Wasted, Poachers.

I've found huge bulls with the heads cut off and the rest left to rot.
I've seen multiple bulls shot by the same hunter, as the herd ran past them. They shot a bull and it kept running so they assumed a miss and shot the next bull that ran by. Over and over until there were several on the ground. Then they tagged the biggest one and started cutting.
I've seen shots fired into herds of balled up elk. The exiting bullet striking the elk behind the target elk.
I've seen guys park on private, out of state owned property that borders public. Apparently using onxmaps to determine they out of state owners weren't around.
I've seen big ranches having their hired help herd the elk with quads and trucks and pistols fired into the air to keep the elk on the property and not cross onto public. Charging 10k for a bull elk, and refusing to let the locals shoot a cow elk after they are done with their profit season. Then complaining to Fish and game the wolves are hurting their livestock and they need help from the state, at taxpayers expense, while still refusing to allow wolf hunters onto the property.
I've seen bull elk sick and down for days, that succumb to natural death. Then transplants from blue states/cities, make a fuss and claim poaching while the dead bull still has his antlers. And demanding the rancher removes the carcass from their sight cause it hurts their feelings. to see true nature that isn't National Geographic edited false reality.
I've seen transplants cut up ranchers fences claiming "fences hurt the migration of animals". And then threatening to sue the ranchers for the damage their cows did after they walked through cut fence.
I could go on for hours but I'm out of coffee and have chores to do.
We are forced to live amongst idiots, who ruin and poison everything they touch with their ignorance, greed, and stupidity.
I have no idea's on how to fix the idiots.
I do however have zero tolerance for fools who do things that ruin my rights, access, and lifestyle. I'm originally from Chicago, and I'm not a rat. But I will call in and report any illegal behavior I see when It comes to hunting, poaching, trespassing, or anything else that makes the hunting regulations book get thicker and thicker every year.
I have to drive THROUGH herds of elk, to get to public land to look for elk. Anyone I see who pokes a barrel out of the truck window, shoots towards houses onto land they have no access to, will be in court at the least.
These people will make the anti-gunners/anti-hunters have more photo's and video to use against us.
Follow the law, hunt hard to earn the meat, and have respect for those of us that got out ahead of you, earlier, to be in the rite spot first.
I'm still trying to figure out what to do about hunters that will see me in my spot, and walk 50 yds in front of me, cigarette smoking, talking, laughing and joking, bumping animals out the whole way. And think it's ok.
Lack of accountability and consequences, in every category, is ruining our country. Some people have no respect for anything or anyone.

Sounds like you hunt in Oregon.

Yuppers,,, last year the GW's were trying to find a Moose Shooting rig in the Far North,,, 2 calfs and 1 cow in the park boundary...

Its to bad they couldn't find them,,, left fully intact by the roads in a closed season...

Such a shame and waist to the Moose and the rest of us hunters...

Thanks for sharing as it fires up the watchful eyes if we do our part...

A fellow in our area reported 3 incidents of Poaching this year...

Big fines and a time out for them,,, the day will come when those kind of mistakes/ """gread""" will cost folks dearly...

Don

2 Elk wasted in a week. I have to wonder if anti-hunters may do this to instill outrage in the public. Proud sportsman have there deer propped up so the antlers show above the pickup bed. Send photos to there friends. Sports-people are not doing this. The one shot Tues. the 19th was a 7 x 6 ... Prize for ant Michigan sportsperson.

View attachment 159357

I share your disgust at whoever committed this wasteful and destructive act. And I agree that no real sportsman did this. But honestly, I think it's a little bit irresponsible to float the theory that anti-hunters did this for publicity. You haven't backed that claim up with a shred of actual evidence. Let's face it, it could have been anybody. And I don't think phrasing it "I have to wonder" gets you off the hook. It's pure speculation and gossip (which you have the right to spread, if wild speculation is what you want your reputation to be). It's fine to disagree with anti-hunters; it's not fine (IMHO) to gin up fake reasons to rile up hatred against them.

Sounds like you hunt in Oregon.
Honestly I don't even want to post where I hunt elk. The out of state hunters are the worst. And I don't want to encourage any more of them to come here and pillage. Just like migratory birds, they are here just long enough to crap all over everything and then they are gone.

Honestly I don't even want to post where I hunt elk. The out of state hunters are the worst. And I don't want to encourage any more of them to come here and pillage. Just like migratory birds, they are here just long enough to crap all over everything and then they are gone.
Well I don't want to argue but in my experience, locals poach more than out of state people do locals know what they can get away with and ware they can getaway with it I will agree people out of state are more careless and do dumb things

Well most poachers take what they kill.At least here in south florida.I think you may be right about left wingers that are dont want any hunting or gun ownership. It makes sense that those people would do that to get a uproar going about what hunters are doing to the land.Just watch the news for five minutes and you will see what they are trying to do polictly.

Quote have no idea's on how to fix the idiots.
I do you drop them off on the middle of high density grizzly territory without and, weapons or bear spray after coating them with honey and molasses

Last edited by a moderator:
Poachers that waste drive me completely insane. And by that I mean if you need the meat then kill what you need but DO NOT WASTE it. 2 weeks ago I went up and sat in my stand to see what all was coming in up at camp. While setting there I started seeing crows flying in , in front of me about 50 yards away in the brush. Curiosity got the better of me so I climb down to go see what they'd found and lo and behold it was a dead buck. Someone had shot and cut the head off. My first thought was maybe they'd found it a day or so later and it wasn't no good . But after a little looking around they'd cut the back straps out and the head off and left the rest. I was furious.
I contacted the local game warden who has the lease across the road so hopefully he can catch that sorry sucker.

So you have NEVER hunted out of state?
one should THINK before speaking

I'm in the "probably not the anti's" crowd. Most of them are terrified of guns and they more than likely do not have the slightest clue as to how to track down an elk, get within range, and plug one through the vitals. Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

Statistically the odds are higher (in the extreme) that, as others have mentioned, some hunter got all amped up at seeing a "deer" 200 yards off, and using poor eyesight and poor judgement, put a round or two in it only to walk up and utter the words " oh...(pick your expletive)".

I live in California and even here, there really are not that many anti-hunters. The ones that exist yell loudly, but their numbers are small. The vast majority of people are in the middle: they don't know much about guns or hunting and don't particularly care either way. I will take a brief moment to point out that this group of middle grounders is the group which should be brought into the fold, so to speak. Conspiracy theories and finger pointing do little to accomplish this. Public education and raising the bar amongst hunters (to prevent episodes like this) will go much farther towards strengthening the hunting and firearms communities.

So you have NEVER hunted out of state?
one should THINK before speaking
I have respected the hunting laws, and private property of any state I've ever hunted in. I always think before I speak, or in this case type. Which is why I speak as passionately as I do.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.