2 different questions 1) Powder and 2) Spotting scope magnification

No Fear in Accuracy

1)When in cold climate, you may add a few grain of powder. Could you tell me how much the temperature drops if you plan to add one grain of powder? (eg. if the temp drops 10F, is it safe to add one grain of powder?)

Where I hunted, the temperature averaged minus 10C / probably 20F.

2) I do have a Cabelas spotting scope which comes with 20-60 X 60. (it is not that good scope if you zoomed over 40x).
Most spotters use 22x power. I just would like to know if you can actually see the bullet vapor trail at 1000 yards with 22x. Will you be able to see it at 1500 yards?
Do you feel 40x would be a little better to see the bullet vapor trail way out there?

I went to PA 1000 yards match last summer and I brought 20-60 x 60 spotting scope. I could see the bullet trail with 20x power, but at 60x it gets darker and a little blur so I don't rely at 60x.

I did look at the scope with 20x magnification at 2000 yards. Sheesh, you must have a good eye to see the diameter of .338" bullet hitting over 2000 yards.

Maybe I'm wrong. You can see clearly with 20 to 25x anywhere from 100 yards to 1000 yards.

-Denny

^^^bang^^^

Boyd,

You mentioned that you were practising shooting at the boulder out to 1450 yards at your friend's place.
Do you be able to catch the bullet's vapor trail every time in 22x magnification? (especially at 1400 yards)
I could see it fly in the middle of the range but when it gets farther, will the bullet trail become harder to see at the end of the range? (due to the long distance with 22x power)

I'm asking you because none of my hunters are interested in long range hunting. I could ask someone to watch the big eyes for me. (probably my wife?)

-Denny

A solution for me was to switch to Hodgdon Extreme powder. Seems to be temp. insensitive. I have used the same load from 30deg to -10degC with little problem. Any variation in the drop chart is a matter of conditions on that day not temp.

I use H4350 and H4831SC and am very happy with the results. Varget is also supposed to be good as is H1000 and Retumbo.

I do alot of load dev. during the fall/winter. This reconfirms my loads and how they will perform in the cold. I try and shoot all year round.

You would be amazed at how a rifle reacts to the cold. The first shot from a cold barrel really means something when it is ice cold not room temp. POI shifts have been observed as have shifts with the stock.

For long range shots, I would be inclined to shoot a spotter or two. I try and find a sandy or dirt spot to hit. This way I can see the dust impacts easier.

Vapor trails are great if the humidity is high enough to generate them. Where I live, humidity is low. The best you can see is the mirage caused by the sonic wave of the bullet but only if the light is just right. Not reliable at all. I look for dust at impact.

Jerry

Your remark about seeing a .338 hitting at 2,000 yards scared me. A few days ago I posted a reply about being able to see my bullet holes with a Leupold 3.5X10X50 at 200 yards.

If it was my post you were referring to, please check it out. Either I mis-typed or you mis-read.

kk

kk,

Ahh...it was not from your post.

Yeah, .338 is so small to see when hit at 2000 yards but it can be done.
I've read and talked to Darryl Cassel about his fanastic longrange stories.
He did said that he could see the bullet hit the ground at extreme long range if you have the right equipment like very good bigeyes.

I just want to know if you can see it "well" with 22x magnification. I was thinking of 40x or so for better....seeing impact details.

Some of them could see the bullet vapor trail all the way down there. Some watch for dirt impact.

I'm from Southwestern Ontario too. I hunt Canadian moose near Thunder Bay and there are many good clear-cuts so I want to build or order two spotting scopes for long range hunting. That's why I wanted to ask them questions before buying bigeyes and keep them for long long time. (Shh... possibly bring bigeyes to the beach to watch beautiful girls laying under the sun.
tongue.gif
)

-Denny

kk,

Hah..ha

There are quite few nude beaches I know in Ontario.
Maybe you know or not, one of them is in Toronto, on the island where the small airport is. It is in that area somewhere, maybe not on this island, other small island beside it.
Other few in Sudbury and Lake Erie shores.

Of course, I cannot bring my rifle to hunt them however I can hunt them with my camera.
shocked.gif

-Denny

Denny

We go as high as 2 to 5 more grs of powder as the temp. drops into the freezing zone. This depends on the case capacity and bore diameter.

As per the 22X bigeyes, yes you can see the vapor trail with the 22X quite easy and at ranges out past 2000 yds. You can also see bullet impacts at that range into the ground or off of rocks VERY easily.

Regular binoculars (even expensive ones) don't always give good definition at extended range because of the shorter focal length and smaller eyepiece diameter. The bigeyes are the way to go as per much less eye strain and definition all the way to the target when watching the vapor trail.
22X wide angle is the most used power in the bigeyes especially in the 60 MM Spacemasters.

You can really see the 338 300 gr vapor trail at 3300 FPS, even 15 yards to the side of the shooter instead of directly behind him.

Later
DC

Darryl... thank you, thank you

I just want to know if I can increase gr of powder below zero. There is one minor problem with this one. The temperature here is different from 12 hours of driving up north so I will not know if it is safe to increase the gr of powder because I haven't tried firing the rifle here with below zero.

I could think that I could wait until December-January, when the temperature here drops below zero then I'll go to local range and fire to see if the pressure is alright.
Then it should be fine for moose hunt next year?

Alright, 22x wide angle with 60mm that is. I'll start looking for 2 used spotting scopes with the bracket.

Thanks again,
-Denny

Denny, kk seems as thought you have found a new species of whitetail to hunt
grin.gif
. Be sure to save the the pictures to share around the campfire.
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.