2.9 Miles of Deer with 338 Edges

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
Sorry it has taken so long for me to get this posted. I have been cutting, editing and reviewing video for "Send It vol 2" since we got back from the Clearwater River. Between 4 deer we shot 2.9 miles of yardage and captured it all on video.

Deer # 1 - Walker Reggear I posted on this earlier when Walker took it, Walker and his dad Travis got setup in our favorite area and spotted a really nice 5x5 (145-150 class) at 975 yards. Walker dialed up and put it to him I wish I'd have been there to witness that one.

Deer # 2 - I spotted a deer at 1166 yard on a simi open face feeding. I got dialed in for the distance and wind. I made sure video was rolling and settled in behind the rifle. I broke the shot and it was very apparent that we had less wind than I read as I hit a full 1.5 moa in front of him. My dad called to go right 1.5 moa, I dialed and broke shot #2 and slipped the bullet right in the crease. The buck buckeled down and then laid out for a few seconds. Right after completly relaxing he rolled down the hillside ( story of my life this year).

2009%20WHITETAIL%201166.JPG

Deer # 3 - was my dad's at 1023 yards. This was simple we spotted him, dad setup his Edge and dialed in for the distance. He corrected for the wind per my and Travis's estimation and waited for the still broadside shot. We did not have to wait long and the deer turned and stopped. Dad released the 300 SMK and like mine slipped it right into the crease. The deer stumbled, staggered and hit the dirt no more than 30 yards form the point of impact.

Deer # 4 - this was the real story. We spotted a few deer every evening on this one open face a long way away. When it got dark enough I got a range on a rock on the face, it was 1931 yards. Now this is a stretch for anyone no matter how skilled. The next day during the late morning hours Travis and I both setup and sighted in on the rock. Travis taking 62 moa and I taking 72 moa ( Travis is shooting a +P version of the 338 Edge ). We took very careful notes about conditions and wind. We looked at our ballistics, at this distance a range estimation error of 5 yards would result in hitting high or low by about 11 inches, a windage error of 1 mph would result in just over 20 inches of drift. On the positive side we still had more impcat energy at distance than a 44 mag at the muzzle. That evening came around and we spotted a lone whitetail doe feeding across the face . Travis got settled in and lined up. He dialed in 63.5 moa and asked for the wind. We all agreed that the wind was slightly more than our sight in conditions but not more than 1 mph more. SO travis dialed in for the wind and settled in. The doe offered a slightly quartering to shot and Travis pressed the trigger. It took the 300 SMK right at 4 seconds to fligh to the deer and impact the ribcage driving all the way through and out the other side to kick up some dirt behind it giving the false impression for a second that I needed to call miss. I did not have to make the callo as the doe jumped and kicked lik eit had an arrow buried right in the crease. The deer skipped out 30 yards or so, stareted to go wobbly and went down. By the time we got to the deer to recover her it was flatly black outside. As we were recovering the deer it occured to me that we had just about taken 3 miles of deer (2.897 miles to be exact). I am pretty sure that this is the longest video of a big game being taken for a comercial DVD or anyother for that matter. It was outstanding to witness and it will be a great addition to Send It vol 2.

Last edited:
WOW!!! Congrats on your hunts - nice buck in the pic.

BTW, that is some *serious* shooting. It certainly inspires some intense range/trigger time - not to mention a big, accurate stick!!!

OK, i gotta know. What is an Edge +P?!?

A 338 Edge is already pretty hot, but a +P version? Honestly - that's gotta be a true "Lightning Rod" through and through!!!

EDIT: Add emphasis and spelling adj's

That is absolutely incredible... I'm not suprised by the other 3 shots as you guys have proven this well in the past.. Great shooting none the less... but 1900 plus yards is in a legue of its own.. NO DOUBT !

Congrats on the footage guys and one memorable hunt. The vid will be awsome for sure.

By the way... Who builds your guns ???. That guy in Idaho...agh...whats his name again...?

Cheers boys

Great job

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.