2.9 Miles of Deer with 338 Edges

" #2 The 338 Edge +P, I have been working on this for a while now and was reluctant to even mention it. It is in test phases and I am working the patent process on it. I can only say this, we are getting 2950-3040fps with H1000 and a 30" barrel. There has also seems to be a slight increase in accuracy although this would take several more rifles to prove and I am not going to claim that yet. Please don't start calling about it, I will have a complete info release here when we are done and ready. "

Shawn, you just let the cat out of the bag. Hold on!!

Great shooting, guys. Looking forward to that video.

To answer a couple of questions...

#1 The range finder was a survey insturment we have been trying out. The Swaro is a great unit but the beamn width at that distance would cover about 8 feet. This can lead to more than enough variance to cause a miss or worse a bad hit. The survey laser has a bean width at 2000 yards of about 18 inches making for more reliable readings. More on the range finder after we test it some more.

#2 The 338 Edge +P, I have been working on this for a while now and was reluctant to even mention it. It is in test phases and I am working the patent process on it. I can only say this, we are getting 2950-3040fps with H1000 and a 30" barrel. There has also seems to be a slight increase in accuracy although this would take several more rifles to prove and I am not going to claim that yet. Please don't start calling about it, I will have a complete info release here when we are done and ready.

Thanks for the complements. The 1935 shot was a very unique situation that allowed for that to happen. It was one of those deals where everything just fell into line. I was glad to get it all on video. We hope to be able to release SI V2 in late January.

Thanks for the info - really interesting. TBH, the idea of a 300grn bullet with 3,000fps+ MV is pretty enticing. Maybe enough to cause a re-write of my 'oh-so-dreamy' LRH config. :D

As has been mentioned, the info on the range-finder will be quite handy too.

Great job on finding/developing better solutions for these unique challenges. I hope your biz is rocketing ahead!

Hi Shawn
you told me about the 1166yrd but kept the 1935yrd quiet :cool:
when the dvd is ready you better SEND IT!! to me:D

Duncan

A +P .338 Edge cartridge????

mypic30.jpg

No........ This is just what happens when someone stuffs up the headspace on a normal .338 Edge chamber.
The +P might look a bit like this though?

" #2 The 338 Edge +P, I have been working on this for a while now and was reluctant to even mention it. It is in test phases and I am working the patent process on it. I can only say this, we are getting 2950-3040fps with H1000 and a 30" barrel. There has also seems to be a slight increase in accuracy although this would take several more rifles to prove and I am not going to claim that yet. Please don't start calling about it, I will have a complete info release here when we are done and ready. "

Shawn, you just let the cat out of the bag. Hold on!!

Great shooting, guys. Looking forward to that video.

Thats 65 moa with my 338ax. so i wounder what the +p is?

Simply astounding.

I am glad you post these things here. It keeps guys like me humble! Most of us here think that we do something pretty impressive by hitting kill zone targets at 900 and a grand but to do that at double that is simply amazing. Gives the rest of us something to shoot for (no pun intended.)

I look forward to getting that 30" pipe to really maximize my skills and efforts.

Thanks again for sharing.

M

Simply astounding.

I am glad you post these things here. It keeps guys like me humble! Most of us here think that we do something pretty impressive by hitting kill zone targets at 900 and a grand but to do that at double that is simply amazing. Gives the rest of us something to shoot for (no pun intended.)

I look forward to getting that 30" pipe to really maximize my skills and efforts.

Thanks again for sharing.

M

Eichele, I don't care how far people can take game, I always enjoy Reading about it
and looking at the pics, but that will never take away the glory that there is at
seeing a bull Elk or a deer, Antelope , whatever it may be, to drop on the ground
at 900 yards after one shot. Goodness 700 yards away is a long ways, 1900 yards
is just longer. :D And more impresive...:D
That bullet being in the air for 4 seconds, I bet poor Shawn Carlock got a fever after that
from just the tension. :)

Last edited:
I'm all to happy to post stuff like that here. I know I'll be taking some heat over that shot when the DVD comes out from some people. I don't think I'll be puttin it on youtube. Even some long range shooters just won't quite understand the unique and special circumstances that surrounded that shot. To pull up with out having shot to the location the day before and just dial up, take you best guess on wind and let'er fly is not something I would do. You will actually see on the DVD that the evening after we shot the rock to sight in that we let 2 small bucks come and go without a shot simply because neither Travis or I were confortable with the conditions. All of that being said I am certain I will take some crap for the shot and for putting it out in the "open" on video. But it is like I have always said, "Those that can do and those that can't complain."

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts