.2-.3 100 yard cold bore challenge

I'm partially trolling but also very serious: why is the group not on top of the target? This is a very common thing to see on the forum(s), but I'm not sure if the reason is
- There is wind
- The setup is not holding zero
- Position/hold is not consistent
- The shooting distance is not the zeroing distance
- People adjust their scope off before shooting to save the target center
- Something else; what?

A good group in the wrong place is not any better than a poor group in the right place.. 🤨

I can only speak for myself. Zero is set on top of the dot at 100 yds. When i am shooting groups (positions practice or whatever,) I shoot a box and return to zero for 9 total groups on one target dot. I move 10 up- shoot, 10 over- shoot, 10 down-shoot, 10 down- shoot, etc until each face and each corner of the box has a group on it. 9th group is back on the bull and verifies the scope returns to zero.

I'm partially trolling but also very serious: why is the group not on top of the target? This is a very common thing to see on the forum(s), but I'm not sure if the reason is
- There is wind
- Something else; what?

A good group in the wrong place is not any better than a poor group in the right place.. 🤨
White paper aim point was top left corner of square at 100, five shots, square is 1/2"
Red diamond was 3 shots at 400yds
9E905677-DC67-44F6-B82B-A0587DB743EE.jpeg
7CE2B233-58B0-4943-AB87-70686B275B6E.jpeg

- There is wind
- Something else; what?

The ones where the POI is higher than the target is probably due to most folks zero at a greater range than the 100 yard challenge on this post.

Last edited:
Canhunter,
Great groups! Cartridge?
White paper was my 6.5 during load development, shots 9-14 if I remember correctly...same gun same load I didn't do as well in my personal challenge lol.
The red dot was 3 shots with my 308 and honestly a fluke, it was a good shooting rifle but not that good lol

5 at 104.5 with my 223 including cold bore. Lapua brass, varget, 73gr berger.

After that, came up 2 clicks and shot 5 more. Dot is 1 inch.

Attachments

• 0811200953.jpg
    0811200953.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • 0811201136.jpg
    0811201136.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 202
- There is wind
- Something else; what?

I don't like to shoot the bull out of my target and most days I'm maybe jumping between Magnetospeed, can, or nothing at all and I could care less where they fall on the target. Rest assured that when the time comes the zero will be set in the right place.

Reading a thread about groups in the .2-.3s I thought I'd create an online challenge.
Shoot five shots into a 1" circle at 100 yards, including a cold bore shot.
Feel free to post targets from multiple rifles.
Let's keep the groups on the target as best we can, a good zero is as important as group size.
Fire at any pace you want, anyway you want. Shoot a flyer or two please post anyways.
The only stipulation is the group must be shot after reading this thread and deciding to participate in the challenge.
Also if you wish, please describe your fundamentals in shooting the group, it's a great way to learn from each other.
So next time ur at the range, hang a target and show us how ur rifle and you do.
Good luck.
The range reopened Tuesday and I decided to take my first love the .308 out for a day of fun. We met at Fort Benning back in the early 90's and were hot and heavy for a few years, until a cute 6.5 showed up one day. I knocked off the rust and gave her a new dress to wear, 155 HPBT and we went and danced at the range. The old girl surprised me, she can still cut the rug and most of the groups are nothing to write home to mom about, but a couple did get my attention.
These are for the most part all three shot groups and some are two shot groups, ( I wonder where the third round went?) Page 1, is cold bore with four targets, follow by a break, posting a fresh target Page 2 and continuing for the next 3 hours for a total of 4 pages and 16 targets.
Post your comments and let me know how I did.
Ace

Attachments

• Page 1.jpg
    Page 1.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Page 2.jpg
    Page 2.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Page 3.jpg
    Page 3.jpg
    668.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Page 4.jpg
    Page 4.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 169
Ace: Good Shooting! If page 4 is representative of what the rifle and ammo are really capable of (and I think it is) then she's a keeper. Just don't tell her about the 6.5; no need in causing any unnecessary jealousy inside the gun safe.

Some 'Type-A' splinter-collector may come along and tell you that you can't tell anything without several hundred 10-shot groups, but you and I both know that small one-hole groups don't really happen by accident...not twice.

4th and 5th shots don't have much practical application to hunting anyway--at least not after load development is done. And your load development is done, I'd say. That's why this challenge starts with a cold barrel. It is the only shot that matters 99.9% of the time.

The range reopened Tuesday and I decided to take my first love the .308 out for a day of fun. We met at Fort Benning back in the early 90's and were hot and heavy for a few years, until a cute 6.5 showed up one day. I knocked off the rust and gave her a new dress to wear, 155 HPBT and we went and danced at the range. The old girl surprised me, she can still cut the rug and most of the groups are nothing to write home to mom about, but a couple did get my attention.
These are for the most part all three shot groups and some are two shot groups, ( I wonder where the third round went?) Page 1, is cold bore with four targets, follow by a break, posting a fresh target Page 2 and continuing for the next 3 hours for a total of 4 pages and 16 targets.
Post your comments and let me know how I did.
Ace

These were fired recently; 3 separate trips firing cold bore dial and shoot over a 2 week period. The 100 yard group was from a bipod with rear bag while the 300 and 600 were fired from the bench with rear bag rest.

APR built 30 Nosler, ADG brass with a 230 Berger over H1K.

This was by far one of my better groups at 100 which I dont shoot at very much with this rifle. It consistently hits the .3-.4's.

Screenshot_20200819-063527_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200819-063502_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200819-063405_Gallery.jpg

Ace: Good Shooting! If page 4 is representative of what the rifle and ammo are really capable of (and I think it is) then she's a keeper. Just don't tell her about the 6.5; no need in causing any unnecessary jealousy inside the gun safe.

Some 'Type-A' splinter-collector may come along and tell you that you can't tell anything without several hundred 10-shot groups, but you and I both know that small one-hole groups don't really happen by accident...not twice.

4th and 5th shots don't have much practical application to hunting anyway--at least not after load development is done. And your load development is done, I'd say. That's why this challenge starts with a cold barrel. It is the only shot that matters 99.9% of the time.
Jon,
Thank you for your kind words. I started with the 308 in matches back the 90's and later had to have a custom 6.5 X 284 in the early 2000's. I gone through a couple of them now, but the 308 is still with me and I may take her to the next tactical match and see if I can't hurt some 6 mm BR shooter's feeling. If I could only own one rifle it would be a 308, most shoot well straight from the factory and some shoot very well. May all your rounds find the X-Ring and may your life enrich all the people you contact. Remember, Life is short! Go Shooting.
Ace

These were fired recently; 3 separate trips firing cold bore dial and shoot over a 2 week period. The 100 yard group was from a bipod with rear bag while the 300 and 600 were fired from the bench with rear bag rest.

APR built 30 Nosler, ADG brass with a 230 Berger over H1K.

This was by far one of my better groups at 100 which I dont shoot at very much with this rifle. It consistently hits the .3-.4's.

View attachment 212308View attachment 212309View attachment 212310
Slick, great shooting. Your 300 and 600 yard groups tell tale. Take you Nosler to the next match in your area, you may hurt someone feeling.
Ace