1x fired brass , split necks

WeiserBucks

I recently bought 200+ pieces of 300 Norma 1x fired brass that came from factory ammo. Upon inspection, 19 of them had split necks , some worse than any split necks I've ever seen .
The brass came from two well respected members of another forum and I've confirmed that they are 1x fired.
Any idea what's going on here ? Is the 300 Norma somehow prone to split necks? I have zero experience with the cartridge, just getting started.

I recently bought 200+ pieces of 300 Norma 1x fired brass that came from factory ammo. Upon inspection, 19 of them had split necks , some worse than any split necks I've ever seen .
The brass came from two well respected members of another forum and I've confirmed that they are 1x fired.
Any idea what's going on here ? Is the 300 Norma somehow prone to split necks? I have zero experience with the cartridge, just getting started.
I have some once fired and UNFIRED 264WM Winchester brass that would split either on the first firing or when seating bullets after being sized.
As soon as this happened, I annealed the lot (300 cases) and haven't had a problem since. I even had 3 split as they were sized and the expander (dry lubed Forster) was pulled through, the difference between neck before expander is only .0005" with this die!

I guess sometimes we're just unlucky.

Cheers.
;)

Sounds like maybe the annealing done originally wasn't sufficient/efficient. I would never expect that from Norma but hey we all need a Mulligan every once in a while. And if they came from 2 different folks then I'm assuming they were fired in 2 different guns so that would eliminate a lot of the reasons why. I would either scrap them and start over with new or do a very close inspection of each one anneal the good ones and start at minimum for the first loading in them.

I've never had an issue with any 1x fired brass from any member of any forum, but the first piece I pulled out had a split from the mouth clear to shoulder/body junction. Makes my agent orange act up .

Based on the information you provided, I would get them annealed before doing anything else. Either that or send them back.
The seller had an obligation to advise you of the problem and that 10% of them were unusable.

I've reached an agreement with the sellers , one batch was annealed after the 1st firing and still split . Makes me wonder if this is a rare instance or if there's a problem with 300 Norma brass. I've been using Norma brass in other cartridges for years with great success.

Many sellers allege 1x firing, when brass has had many more. The chamber those came from is smaller than yours and they split upon expansion. I would do a cerro cast to find your rifle chamber dimensions and then compare.

How do you know that the two chambers the brass was fired in are smaller than mine? I've never fired any of this brass , my chamber hasn't been cut yet .

I've reached an agreement with the sellers , one batch was annealed after the 1st firing and still split . Makes me wonder if this is a rare instance or if there's a problem with 300 Norma brass. I've been using Norma brass in other cartridges for years with great success.
For S&G's ..: contact Norma here in the US, tell them the circumstances. First fire and neck failure. See if they will exchange them.
If you don't ask The answer is always no!