1st time hunter needing mentor

Why not both? 😈
^ This. This is what you get from spending almost any time here. You begin by dipping your toes into the world of shooting, and hunting, then before you know it, "why not both?" becomes a never ending snowball resulting in a basement (or warehouse) full of guns! 😆

Welcome to the madness! We kinda' figured you'd get along well here.

In addition to the "hunting" and "shooting" parts, you also need to know how to properly field dress whatever you shoot., so it isn't spoiled If you don't already know how, I'd suggest learning before killing something. Surely there must be someone in your area who'd go out hunting with you. Ask around at LGS.

I'm a long time firearms enthusiast, particularly long range target shooting. I even have my NRA Instructor and CRSO Certification. But I'm getting the itch to do some actual hunting. I've gone for pheasant before but never anything with my rifle (.300WM for reference).

I'd like to go for deer, eventually hog, etc but I have no idea where to start. I'm in Northern Illinois, and hike/camp all over Wisconsin but I'm not opposed to traveling just about anywhere. I'd just feel a lot better going out for my first hunt with a group of experienced hunters to show me the ropes; so I can become more self sufficient at this. I'm not looking for trophy hunts - this is to fill my freezer and provide for my family.

Any thoughts? Advice? Know of anyone to recommend? Any guidance is truly appreciated!
Greetings from the Big Sky Country of Montana! Welcome to LRH and enjoy it. I commend you for finding this site and forum. The Regional Forum is designed (networking) precisely for what you are after. Unfortunately, it is underutilized. You have gotten excellent recommendations thus far.

As you can see, many good folks here are always willing and able to help. I am pretty sure if any of them are close to you, they would gladly provide you with the mentorship you need. It might take a while but, it will come to you. Hunting, esp. LRH does not happen overnight. Take your time and enjoy the learning process.

My hunting buddy and I take airmen (young and old) from our base out hunting on our dime. Most of them are first-time hunters or cannot afford to hunt. I guided an airman who happened to be a block away from my house about 15 years ago. He messaged me last year that he took his son on his first successful hunt. We find it rewarding.

The .300 WM is an excellent choice (I have 3), and it remains my go-to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1KY.

Good luck!

Ed

In addition to the "hunting" and "shooting" parts, you also need to know how to properly field dress whatever you shoot., so it isn't spoiled If you don't already know how, I'd suggest learning before killing something. Surely there must be someone in your area who'd go out hunting with you. Ask around at LGS.

One stroke of luck I had... my father was a butcher for 50yrs. I'm more comfortable with a knife than I am with most tools. I'm no expert, and absolutely need to gain my familiarity with the specific game I'll go after. But as an amateur hunter, I do have some level of confidence there.

What is completely foreign to me is what to do with the rest of it... e.g. fur, antlers, hooves, etc. I do not want to waste anything.

Thanks Ed! I'm a big believer in networking so I'm thrilled with the support so far. And as a very patriotic person, I appreciate the support you've given to those airmen by sponsoring and guiding their hunts. Well done sir!

The .300 WM is an excellent choice (I have 3), and it remains my go-to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1KY.

Good luck!

Ed

I spent a few years going to the ranges with my friends who had the standard .308. It just never really got my attention. Had the opportunity to borrow a 7mm Mag and loved it. Did my research and landed on a Savage 111 .300WinMag and haven't looked back. I've spent considerable time tweaking it over the years. She's far from perfect, and I built most of it on a tight budget. But, I can consistently shoot sub - 1/2MOA without much effort. Roughly 3,950fps at the muzzle with a .208gr. 30" bull barrel and 3-port "Muscle Break."

Only prob... she's a heavy SOB to lug around

Attachments

• Resized_20200626_115114(1).jpeg
    Resized_20200626_115114(1).jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Resized_20200626_115050.jpeg
    Resized_20200626_115050.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Resized_20200626_115139.jpeg
    Resized_20200626_115139.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 90
Thanks Ed! I'm a big believer in networking so I'm thrilled with the support so far. And as a very patriotic person, I appreciate the support you've given to those airmen by sponsoring and guiding their hunts. Well done sir!

I spent a few years going to the ranges with my friends who had the standard .308. It just never really got my attention. Had the opportunity to borrow a 7mm Mag and loved it. Did my research and landed on a Savage 111 .300WinMag and haven't looked back. I've spent considerable time tweaking it over the years. She's far from perfect, and I built most of it on a tight budget. But, I can consistently shoot sub - 1/2MOA without much effort. Roughly 3,950fps at the muzzle with a .208gr. 30" bull barrel and 3-port "Muscle Break."

Only prob... she's a heavy SOB to lug around
Are you sure? That is seriously cooking. One of my .300 WM is also a Savage 111F; the only upgrade I have done is to replace the trigger, stock, and install a Holland QD muzzle brake.

Are you sure? That is seriously cooking. One of my .300 WM is also a Savage 111F; the only upgrade I have done is to replace the trigger, stock, and install a Holland QD muzzle brake.

Yup, tested with a chrono numerous times, she's a screamer! I'm sure I'll burn that barrel out sooner than others but I'm loving it's performance

I'm certain he fat fingered the 3950 and meant 3050. That's where my 208s fly. Edited: Oh 3950 it is I see. What is that load?

Sorry, 3,800 fps at the muzzle. 3,950 was a lighter round

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211109-065532_Shooter.jpg
    Screenshot_20211109-065532_Shooter.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 93
You don't want to move to Colorado, the hunting is horrible out here! 😜
True. And all of the elk are gone due to over hunting. (See below backyard image of mule deer in "transition") Remember, mule deer turn into elk when they are 3 years old. The locals also know that places like Pikes Peak aren't actually finished yet. The telltale sign is that the trees don't go all of the way to the top of this "new" mountain! 🤣

100_1421 (Custom).JPG