1st time hunter needing mentor

Correct Illinois is only slightly guns and muzzle. But recently some small single shot pistol stuff has come about. Think at 15 with a bob sled and 300 blk.
I agree to find a group of guys and do a guide hunt.
Or even go on your own. Most places are centered around you not the group.
Keep in mind hunting can be done and is done many different ways. In Michigan we walk slow and stalk. Or hunt from blinds because the dense area.
In Texas and Co we hunt from trucks and glass. When we find what we want we go after it.
Or sometimes toss on the backpack and walk.
Try them all you will find your favorite and know why. I like them all but prefer pig hunting with backpack on and walking the hills.

If you can swing it, book a guided hunt. They aren't cheap but usually guides and outfitters are used to new hunters and can really take care of a client. I've guided for 33 years and some of the best are new guys with a great attitude and aptitude to learn.

When I went out West to elk hunt my guide and I got a kick out of the huge differences between elk and whitetail hunting. I was all concerned about noise and wind. The guide was like, "Your Illinois whitetails must be some super elusive creatures"! I replied if we called and moved in on whitetails the way we did elk, every whitetail in 500 square miles would be vacated! 😄

I'm in central IL. I can say with confidence I have cracked the code on whitetail hunting. 21yrs now. Still learn things as one always should, but if you aren't a psychotic weirdo I can show you my system sometime. (Gear, tactics, midset, etc.)

When I went out West to elk hunt my guide and I got a kick out of the huge differences between elk and whitetail hunting. I was all concerned about noise and wind. The guide was like, "Your Illinois whitetails must be some super elusive creatures"! I replied if we called and moved in on whitetails the way we did elk, every whitetail in 500 square miles would be vacated! 😄

I'm in central IL. I can say with confidence I have cracked the code on whitetail hunting. 21yrs now. Still learn things as one always should, but if you aren't a psychotic weirdo I can show you my system sometime. (Gear, tactics, midset, etc.)

So I've been binge watching MeatEater... and whether it's a good show or not is irrelevant. The point though is that when they went for Elk they were making all kinds of noise to stimulate two bucks fighting. He literally said it was the opposite of whitetail so it's funny that you brought that up!

Psychotic? No. Weird? Probably. But I'm about as laid back as they come. Would definitely take you up on some pointers for sure. Appreciate the offer

So I've been binge watching MeatEater... and whether it's a good show or not is irrelevant. The point though is that when they went for Elk they were making all kinds of noise to stimulate two bucks fighting. He literally said it was the opposite of whitetail so it's funny that you brought that up!

Psychotic? No. Weird? Probably. But I'm about as laid back as they come. Would definitely take you up on some pointers for sure. Appreciate the offer
Takes one weirdo to know another! PM me when you get your post count up to use the feature.

I'm a long time firearms enthusiast, particularly long range target shooting. I even have my NRA Instructor and CRSO Certification. But I'm getting the itch to do some actual hunting. I've gone for pheasant before but never anything with my rifle (.300WM for reference).

I'd like to go for deer, eventually hog, etc but I have no idea where to start. I'm in Northern Illinois, and hike/camp all over Wisconsin but I'm not opposed to traveling just about anywhere. I'd just feel a lot better going out for my first hunt with a group of experienced hunters to show me the ropes; so I can become more self sufficient at this. I'm not looking for trophy hunts - this is to fill my freezer and provide for my family.

Any thoughts? Advice? Know of anyone to recommend? Any guidance is truly appreciated!
Be happy to help you if Idaho is not too far for you. Probably have to plan on next year at this point. Most of the OTC hunts are almost over now.

PH

I was born and raised in Rockford ILL. Lived and hunted there for 48 years. As you know very very very little public hunting ground in Northern ILL. Lease land is $3000.00 for a 7 day DEER hunting season , If you can even find a place to hunt.
It is split over 2 weekends. I would say your best bet would secure a private piece of ground to hunt first and the hunting mentors will come out of the wood work to help you. MD

When you mentioned that you potentially would or could hunt in WI. The WI DNR offers this program: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/Education/OutdoorSkills/lth

it is designed to get first time hunters out and provide the supporting information that you may be looking for. I don't know if they take out of state folks.

As you know the WI and other neighboring states will have their gun deer seasons opening up in the next couple weeks. It may not work for your this year but it may be worth looking into for next.

When you mentioned that you potentially would or could hunt in WI. The WI DNR offers this program: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/Education/OutdoorSkills/lth

it is designed to get first time hunters out and provide the supporting information that you may be looking for. I don't know if they take out of state folks.

Wisco DNR has always been good to me with all my camp trips. Didn't know they had this much outreach for hunters. Awesome to see! I'll dig into this one for sure