1st Range Day with SAUM

One thing I realized is that I am having a hard time getting a good cheek weld (photos for reference) so I can be centered up behind the scope. I am having to bury my head over to the right with considerable force to get the sight picture through the scope. The raised cheek piece GAP added to this rifle is set too far left for me. I am going dremel out the kydex piece and slide the cheek piece over to the right so I get a better fit behind the scope.
When you mentioned "dremel out the kydex piece" are you referring to the top of the cheek rest where it screws into the top of the stock? So you can push the top of the cheek rest over to the right?

I'd take a closer look at those bottom 2 cases on the left. I don't know what the load was in those 2 pieces of brass, but it looks like they both have ejector marks next to the little triangle (round circles from brass flowing into the ejector cavity from too high a pressure).. One on the left side of the triangle and one on the right side of the triangle. If it is indeed injector marks, that load is too hot, regardless of what the primer looks like. Take a closer look at them and if it is indeed brass flow, that load is too hot. The top one even looks like it has a score mark through it where the brass was shaved off upon bolt opening. Be very cautious. And remember, as the weather gets hotter, pressures increase.
Also in my opinion, you are doing your load development bassackwards. You should always find your seating depth of the bullet first, then tune the rest of the way with the powder. Unless you've already done that.
Thank you very much for advice.. I will double check the brass again this evening. I had some folks look at it as well. As for the load development, this is all new to me. So I am following the advice of a 2 very experience reloaders who said to do it the way I am. Again, thanks for the advice, it is certainly appreciated! Best, Victoria

When you mentioned "dremel out the kydex piece" are you referring to the top of the cheek rest where it screws into the top of the stock? So you can push the top of the cheek rest over to the right?
This was the modification I just did. Afterward I printed out behind the scope and I felt my eye much more in line with the scope. Range day Monday or Tuesday to confirm.

Attachments

• 20200529_182229.jpg
    20200529_182229.jpg
    891.9 KB · Views: 89
Don't forget to try the Berger 140 Hybrids. I found these to shoot the best out on my rifle using about 60.5 grains Of H1000.
I have them to try next... ;) I have killed two elk, both with the accubonds and they hammered both elk. So I wanted to see how they shot first out of this gun. I have no experience with the Bergers, but from what I hear, I will like them. Thanks for the recommendation! Best, Victoria

Thank you very much for advice.. I will double check the brass again this evening. I had some folks look at it as well. As for the load development, this is all new to me. So I am following the advice of a 2 very experience reloaders who said to do it the way I am. Again, thanks for the advice, it is certainly appreciated! Best, Victoria
As you wish.......there's more then one way to skin something

I have them to try next... ;) I have killed two elk, both with the accubonds and they hammered both elk. So I wanted to see how they shot first out of this gun. I have no experience with the Bergers, but from what I hear, I will like them. Thanks for the recommendation! Best, Victoria

shot this New Mexico bull at 367 yards with the Berger 140 Hybrids. Dropped in his tracks
088142F1-ABC9-4C2D-B399-729C0892B03A.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts